Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 19:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 00:29 
Insiders
Insiders

I just hope all these 5xxx sales will mean you ATI folks don't take so much time releasing future drivers. It's been my only gripe with ATI over the years.

But it's great that you and...wuzhisname are addressing so many question and issues in this thread. Makes me very comfortable in buying my 5870. (my first ATI card in three builds, btw)

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 01:35 

But it's great that you and...wuzhisname are addressing so many question and issues in this thread. Makes me very comfortable in buying my 5870. (my first ATI card in three builds, btw)

Indeed, I am planning to go ATI for the first time since Doom 3 came out and this thread, the eyefinity and their appearence here in general, is the main reason why.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 01:47 

I just hope all these 5xxx sales will mean you ATI folks don't take so much time releasing future drivers. It's been my only gripe with ATI over the years.

For those that are not familiar with AMD graphics, we have a monthly driver release schedule - the Catalyst driver releases are number according to the month, i.e. Catalyst 9.12 relates to the 12 release of the year, in December 2009; sometimes there is a "bonus" 13'th release in a year, dependant on how the driver schedules are looking. Occasionally we'll have "hotfix" drivers inbetween the planned, monthly WHQL releases that are designed to address specific things quickly.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 03:00 

[quote]I just hope all these 5xxx sales will mean you ATI folks don't take so much time releasing future drivers. It's been my only gripe with ATI over the years.

For those that are not familiar with AMD graphics, we have a monthly driver release schedule - the Catalyst driver releases are number according to the month, i.e. Catalyst 9.12 relates to the 12 release of the year, in December 2009; sometimes there is a "bonus" 13'th release in a year, dependant on how the driver schedules are looking. Occasionally we'll have "hotfix" drivers inbetween the planned, monthly WHQL releases that are designed to address specific things quickly.

The frequency of updates doesn't bother me, I skip half of nVidia's driver releases because of issues anyway. My main concern is the "breaking" of old games and while nVidia does this too frequently (Fallout 3 a recent example) I have been told ATI does it even more. Not having had an ATI card since 2003 I can't really comment but I know that is the reputation, earned or not. I know I spend a lot of time on the Steam forums helping people with tech issues and a lot of the time it seems ATI driver updates cause problems in older games, but this could just be a perception issue.

As I prepare to go ATI for the first time in years and years I know things I see like the complete lack of ability to play The Saboteur worry me. It just seems like when people have issues I see a lot of responses like "ATI drivers blah blah" when I see that said for nVidia much less often.

I am just being frank here, no hostility intended. I view it as likely being a perception problem as I said... PC gaming in general has a perception problem, lol.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 04:18 
Insiders
Insiders

Yes, Iv'e clearly been out of the driver loop for a wheil. Back when i had ATI cards, it was every month. Then there seemed to be a lull, and i upgraded to Nvidia. Then when i got a widescreen, the ATI drivers ahdn't yet done proper aspect scaling, so i stuck with Nvidia. Bu tya, now I'm back to ATI. Shoudl arrive any day now. Yay.

But OT, now I'm thinking of getting 3x 24 or 26 inch screens instead of a big TV. :/ Way to mess with my plans, ATI.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 05:25 

To be honest, I have had Nvidia for the past 4 years, and I just had trouble with the drivers for the longest time... guess it just depends.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 05:37 

To be honest, I have had Nvidia for the past 4 years, and I just had trouble with the drivers for the longest time... guess it just depends.

nVidia drivers lately have been crap, honestly. It's one of the reasons I am thinking this is all perception and am going ATI next time.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 05:39 

When anyone complains about a certian venders drivers, I just say that both suck... And that is honestly the truth in my opinion.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 07:13 

[quote]To be honest, I have had Nvidia for the past 4 years, and I just had trouble with the drivers for the longest time... guess it just depends.

When anyone complains about a certian venders drivers, I just say that both suck... And that is honestly the truth in my opinion.

haha, I like how you said that...

"the truth in my opinion"

either its true or its not, opinions are not facts.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 13:51 
Editors
Editors

Lets stop the Nvidia vs. ATI driver discussion here please. :)

Dave, does ATI look into this issue? I made thread here, so not to derail this thread:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17782

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next