Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 10:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 02:53 

A few games I love just won't start/run on Windows 7 (yes I know about running in XP mode and "as administarator" )

in XP all my games run under the Th2go.

would be great for Eyefinity to run under XP.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 03:04 
Insiders
Insiders

A few games I love just won't start/run on Windows 7 (yes I know about running in XP mode and "as administarator" )

in XP all my games run under the Th2go.

would be great for Eyefinity to run under XP.

um well you can go get an actual virtual machine that allows for 3d hardware acceleration. Otherwise, no dice for you.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 03:19 
Insiders
Insiders

My uneducated guess is no. Unless they can be sold on the idea that there is money in developing for XP in the next year timeframe I'd doubt it. Dispite the current installed userbase of XP users around the world, there'll be an active push to obsolete it in the next 18 month timeframe. Why would they develop for a down trending userbase? It's lost returns. Sure, people using XP will see it in a much different way though. It's the same reason why Win 2000 got obsoleted awhile back. As far as drivers are conerned Win 2000 and XP were a lot a like yet support was dropped by almost everyone because of how MS relegated thier EOL on the product. The same will occur with XP, making the next year or so important to the adoption rate of Win 7.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 03:47 

windows xp is a dying OS.
The time is up.
why add support for something that is soon obselete?
its not like we use floppy dics, or soon even cd´s in the computer.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 05:22 

This is a fantastic question, and with the exception of extraordinarly limited resources at this time in economic history, there is little reason why ATI wouldn't eventually provide support for an operating system that Microsoft plans to support through August 2014. With all due respect to Vista and 7, that gives XP nearly 5 more years useful life. 5 years is like a lifetime in technology.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 05:55 
Insiders
Insiders

I'll give you a prime example from the other side of the fence. nVidia never implemented Tri-SLI on XP. there are a bunch of other things nVidia never did for XP that is in Vista and Win 7. Pretty much the same reasoning I believe AMD would use for the lack of EyeFinity on XP.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 09:15 

windows xp is a dying OS.
The time is up.
why add support for something that is soon obselete?
its not like we use floppy dics, or soon even cd´s in the computer.

actually floppy discs are still used :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 09:53 
Insiders
Insiders

Heh. What's a "floppy"? I tossed my last drive about a decade ago.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 10:28 

That, and there are probably limitations in DX9 that won't allow eyefinity to work like it should. "Eyefinity" is just what ATi calls their solution.

I'm sure every company that (eventually) makes a DX11 card for Win7 will have a similar (if not the same) solution that does exactly the same. AFAIK it's an inherent feature in DX11.

ATi being the first to the market was just able to call it whatever they wanted.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 10:49 
Insiders
Insiders

That, and there are probably limitations in DX9 that won't allow eyefinity to work like it should. "Eyefinity" is just what ATi calls their solution.

I'm sure every company that (eventually) makes a DX11 card for Win7 will have a similar (if not the same) solution that does exactly the same. AFAIK it's an inherent feature in DX11.

ATi being the first to the market was just able to call it whatever they wanted.

There was a huge fuss about the loss of nVidia span modes when the archetecture changed to DX10/11 from DX9. It's most likely the same reason why EyeFinity will never be on XP. The way things work in DX are too different between the guts of DX9 and DX10/11. Also the reason why XP never got DX10/11. AMD has essentially taken a feature nVidia discarded when Vista came out and greatly improved it in EyeFinity. One company's loss is another's gain I guess.