Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 08:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 14:06 
Administrators
Administrators

G'day guys,

My recent move from a TH2G to Eyefinity has been unusual to say the least.

At first, the setup saw all three displays, but only the two connected via DVI would report 1680x1050, the DP display would only allow a 1600-something resolution.

After creating groups (which would end up in all sorts of weird combinations) and removing groups and stuffing around, I finally got a 5040x1050 configuration! Yay!

I even saved the profile and then decided to reboot to make sure it started up again ok. No luck. The Windows 7 startup screen appeared duplicated on the two DVI monitors and then the desktop appears only on the right.

I tried reloading the Profile only it tried to force a 5040 resolution on the one screen.

When I go back into the CCC, I can see all three screens. The far right has a 1 next to it, the others have no numbers. I can duplicate the screen onto the other DVI monitor, but it says the third (DP) monitor is 'Disabled'. I can't seem to kick it back into life.

What am I doing wrong??

Monitors = 3 x ViewSonic VX2240w
DP-to-DVI Adapter = Apple via Mini DP
GPU = 5850

UPDATE:

It seems like the DP monitor is not being detected during startup. If I unplug all the monitors and start again while its up and running, it automatically returns to 5040x1050, but when I restart the PC, I have the same issue.

?? I am confused at how to solve this.

UPDATE 2:

Just for laughs, it decided to display the Windows loading screen on one DVI and one DP monitor on the latest reboot. Has it got a random screen selector inside? I didn't realise I bought the Russian Roulette brand 5850!

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 21:51 
Insiders
Insiders

AussieTimmeh most people are having to power cycle there apple dp adapters in order to use eyefinity on startup. So while your compy is loading, unplug it and replug it.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 05:23 
Administrators
Administrators

AussieTimmeh most people are having to power cycle there apple dp adapters in order to use eyefinity on startup. So while your compy is loading, unplug it and replug it.

Righto, thanks.

I find that if the BIOS screen displays on the far right (DVI) and far left (DP) monitors, the setup will load correctly. If it displays on both centre and right (both DVI), I know the setup is going to fail and give me hell.

I'll try your suggestions. Once I get it working, I'm scared to turn the PC off in case it doesn't work again!

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 20:57 

[quote]AussieTimmeh most people are having to power cycle there apple dp adapters in order to use eyefinity on startup. So while your compy is loading, unplug it and replug it.

Righto, thanks.

I find that if the BIOS screen displays on the far right (DVI) and far left (DP) monitors, the setup will load correctly. If it displays on both centre and right (both DVI), I know the setup is going to fail and give me hell.

I'll try your suggestions. Once I get it working, I'm scared to turn the PC off in case it doesn't work again!

I have to un/replug my dp connector every time i reboot.......

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 22:45 
Administrators
Administrators

I have to un/replug my dp connector every time i reboot.......

Wow, really?

Ever since I moved my DP monitor to be my center monitor, I don't have to do this any more. What setup are you using?
ie)
Monitor:
DP to DVI Adapter:
Where is the USB plugged in:

For me, it is)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2240w (centre screen so it's always on in triple or single screen mode)
DP to DVI Adapter: Apple
Where is the USB plugged in: Motherboard USB

If you lived locally I'd be interested to see how either the Apple or Accell adapter went, if you had the same issue or if it's the monitor that can't handle it. From what I have read, some adapters are sensitive and other monitors are sensitive. I also found that so long as my DP monitor is in the centre, everything works ok. When it was one of the outside monitors, as soon as I would switch to single screen mode, it was game over. Couldn't get the monitor back without a forced cable-out reboot, even a normal planned reboot wouldn't fix it.