Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 01:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009, 19:51 

I recently purchased a 5870. I have a Dell U2410 monitor which is 1920*1200 and 24 inches.

I have an opportunity to buy 2 P2310 for the left and right panels. These monitors have a slightly different resolution of 1920*1080 and of course are only 23 inches.

My plan (but confirmation this will work would be awesome) is for when I want to game, I will set the center monitor to a resolution of 1920*1080 (ie NOT its native resolution) and enable 1:1 scaling so that I think there will be small black bars on the top and bottom of my middle monitor. this should actually make it line up not too bad with the 23 inch monitors on the left and right which will already by 1920 * 1080 and therefore the sides panels won't have bars...

I know it would be more ideal to buy all 3 monitors the same but budget won't allow.

questions

1. Can eyefinity work on different models AND different sizes as long as each is set to the same resolution?
2. Am I correctly understanding the 1:1 scaling ie will it have the bars? I would think since the difference btw 1920 * 1200 and 1920 *1080 is small so I would think the bars would be small. Has anyone done anything like this
3. When not gaming, can I disable eyefinity but still use the 3 monitors using windows native multi monitor support at each of their native resolutions? sometimes I will want to use one or 2 monitors in portrait mode while leaving the other at landscape.. I assume eyefinity won't let me do this but I assume I can without eyefinity? is it easy to enable and disable?

many thanks for any help!

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009, 23:34 

I recently purchased a 5870. I have a Dell U2410 monitor which is 1920*1200 and 24 inches.

I have an opportunity to buy 2 P2310 for the left and right panels. These monitors have a slightly different resolution of 1920*1080 and of course are only 23 inches.

My plan (but confirmation this will work would be awesome) is for when I want to game, I will set the center monitor to a resolution of 1920*1080 (ie NOT its native resolution) and enable 1:1 scaling so that I think there will be small black bars on the top and bottom of my middle monitor. this should actually make it line up not too bad with the 23 inch monitors on the left and right which will already by 1920 * 1080 and therefore the sides panels won't have bars...

I know it would be more ideal to buy all 3 monitors the same but budget won't allow.

questions

1. Can eyefinity work on different models AND different sizes as long as each is set to the same resolution?
2. Am I correctly understanding the 1:1 scaling ie will it have the bars? I would think since the difference btw 1920 * 1200 and 1920 *1080 is small so I would think the bars would be small. Has anyone done anything like this
3. When not gaming, can I disable eyefinity but still use the 3 monitors using windows native multi monitor support at each of their native resolutions? sometimes I will want to use one or 2 monitors in portrait mode while leaving the other at landscape.. I assume eyefinity won't let me do this but I assume I can without eyefinity? is it easy to enable and disable?

many thanks for any help!

1) Yes, all three resolutions have to be set the same. It will work!

2) Depends on your monitor, it might stretch the image, not sure.

3) Yes, you can switch profile settings with the click of a button three times to go from eyefinity to extended mode. In extended mode you can use different resolutions for your desktop applications.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 01:41 
Insiders
Insiders

There are already enough early adapter issues with EyeFinity that throwing in dislike display resolutions is a bad idea. If you want someone to tell you that you'd be making a mistake, I tell you it's a bad idea. Go with symetrical display native resolutions. :wink:

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 05:38 
Editors
Editors

I would not leave it to chance unless you have a way to return the 2x23" or the Dell and get a 3rd 23".

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 13:14 

does anyone have any recommendations for 2 1920*1200 native resolution 24 inch monitors? I would really like it if they also had 90 degree rotate if possible. also lowest price would be best too...

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 16:27 

does anyone have any recommendations for 2 1920*1200 native resolution 24 inch monitors? I would really like it if they also had 90 degree rotate if possible. also lowest price would be best too...

I am wondering the same thing! I have 3 1680x1050 and one 1920x1200 monitor. I might sell 2 of the 1680's and get 2 more 1920x1200's or just go with the 1680 and go from there.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 16:55 

for such monitors I personally like Hyundai W240D
adjustable in height & rotate in portrait (I have a W220D, same screen except for size/resolution)

http://www.digitalversus.com/article-357-2946-49.html
or
http://www.digitalversus.com/article-357-6888-49.html

the thing I like on those screen is that there's also a menu to choose between : 1:1 aspect ratio (1 pixel is left 1 pixel untouched, so black borders on all sides depending on resolution)
FULL (deform the picture if necessary)
& keep aspect ratio (will not deform the picture but will "upscale" it)

however a screen choice is a matter of very personal preferences, and it really depends on what you want, what you do...

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 22:31 

well i'm probably asking for a big 'I told you so' here but I think I'm going to try it. I am happy with the specs and price on these P2310h's although I know they are TNs. For 180 Cdn each monitor has

-pixel replacement guarantee- these are the lowest end Dell monitors that actually come with the guarantee ie Dell even has more expensive monitors not covered by the pixel guarantee. these are covered because they are deemed part of the dell professional series (not sure why)
-the dell stand which swivel's tilts and rotates
-for a tn panel they are reviewed favorably

I did quite a bit of math comparing height and width of a 23 inch 16:9 versus a 24 inch 16:10 but running in 16:9 mode and they are almost identical so even thought they are different sized monitors I think they will line up very nicely in when running the u2410 in 16:9 or 1920 by 1080 mode.

Perhaps I'll be back here soon asking for help!!!!!

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 23:16 
Insiders
Insiders

Why did you ask our opinions if you are totally disregarding them? Impulse buys lead to buyers remorse. Don't say I didn't warn you. :wink:

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 23:28 

Well nobody really addressed the cost vs problem issue. I know the monitors aren't perfect, but they are an awesome price. The feedback I received was basically 'there might be problems so don't risk it' which is a statement that implies that price is no object. I am happy for you that price is not a concern!. I believe buying these and getting them working right is not risk free but I believe its worth the significant price savings.

I hope this isn't interpreted as ungrateful, but what I was trying to get at was whether the potential hassles are worth the savings. I didn't get any feedback on that issue and other research I have done suggests that these will all work together as I was hoping. I might be wrong, we'll see

I am grateful for the feedback, please don't be offended that I have weighed the comments and still want to go another way.