Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Jul 2024, 03:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 16:11 

I was an early adopter of the new AMD/ATI EYEFINITY technology, bought a 5870 the day the went on sale, and picked up 3 Dell 2408WFP's. I mainly just play two games, WoW and TF2. And playing in either Landscape mode with 5760x1200res or Portrait with 3600x1920res is totally unreal

I would say my biggest gripe the last two months with EYEFINITY, would be lack of bezel management, compared to the old Matrox TH2G device, where it would line up the image and take into account the space between the monitors to force the image in the game to look correct between the two monitors, Eyefinity does not have that yet, and was wondering when they might ?

When I play WoW or Team Fortress 2, and running along side a wall or object, the image on the side displays does not line up with the center/main monitor, it is off, sometimes by just a little, other times quite bit.

Would be cool if AMD hired some of the engineers that worked for Matrox, maybe they can help them out ?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 17:24 

fact is TH2GO is not equal to EyeFinity
so take the matrox guys put them in front of ATI/AMD drivers & watch the fun as they don't know WTF they are dealing with :lol:

I don't doubt the abilities of matrox guys but I seriously doubt their usefulness in this situation.

The two solutions are not different when the result is considered, but the actual technical implementation is ...

Also as far as I recall, ATI should not make the same implementation of bezels than Matrox, Matrox just moves the pixels around, ATI should calculate a higher res then shift the pixels ...

And Finally the ATI/AMD drivers team has a bunch of work on their hands
give them time.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 02:00 

Yep, we're here waiting for it. I think it's on their "soon" list.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 06:14 

There can only be so much innovation coming out of Canada. Maybe something good will come from Texas, soon, maybe, to balance it out.

We can't expect ATi to innovate, and then innovate immediately after that, it's just not fair to them.

ATi is in no hurry, as every single card they put out to the channel is sold immediately, if not pre-sold. Their big thing right now is to make sure that Dirt 2 works. Then get a cheaper DP-DVI dongle out. Then get out Linux drivers. Then get the 55xx and 56xx cards out to market. Then maybe they will get to Bezelgate, once Samsung starts making them thin bezel jobbies.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 07:10 

The problem with that logic spammeister is that it assumes that everyone at the company is working on the same task which is obviously not true.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 08:00 

The problem with that logic spammeister is that it assumes that everyone at the company is working on the same task which is obviously not true.

yes but it's not like there isn't several tasks at hand for the drivers team in any case... :wink:

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 19:53 
Insiders
Insiders

Due Q1 2010, so no Xmas pressy :(

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/12/01/eyefinity_bezel_management_software_next_year/

Although interestingly there are reports of bezel management from the Matrox GXM working... just re0installing that now to test. I didn't use it when I used the TH2Go 'cos it hard that weird distortion error along the right hand edge of the left monitor when enabled (it bends AND leaves a gap there, lots of us had it)

EDIT: didn't work :(

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 07:13 
Administrators
Administrators

Lack of bezel management is so important that every single customer that I make flight sims for go for the TH2G solution over the Eyefinity solution. Not one has selected the Eyefinity solution from my technology demonstrators despite it being cheaper and more powerful because of this reason.

If ATI wait a couple years, bezel-less monitors are supposed to be becoming the norm, I heard. I read it on the internet so it must be true.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 12:37 
Editors
Editors

...bezel-less monitors are supposed to be becoming the norm, I heard. I read it on the internet so it must be true.

Haha! If only that were true. ;)

mach - that's a pity to hear that. I was hoping it would.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 19:13 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah I tried 2.04 and 2.06; both gave no th2go present.