Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 03:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 20:40 

Iracing is running a buy 1 month get 2 months free promo for the holidays. You basically get to play for 3 months for $14. That's longer than I've played most games. I've been messing with it for a week or so. It's not easy but then you can't expect a regular person to jump into a race car and immediately go fast. I'm not up to speed yet so I haven't jumped into any online races, just some online practices. It's like hanging out at the race track.

Iracing's bezel management is pretty easy, you just input your monitor width and lcd screen width. And then tweak it to look just right. Even on my slightly mismatched screen size, 27" dell + 2 - 25.5 Asus, the view looks very good.

And if you set it to separate screens, there is no "fisheye effect." The view to the side screens are perfect. IMO, a racing sim needs that because you use the side screen not just as peripheral vision, but also to see further into a curve, opponents right next to you or even at a different part of the course, etc. It's pretty amazing, it places you right inside the car.

On a 5870 (+ Phenom II 945), at 5760x1200 with 2xAA all settings on high except a little lower on shadows and mirrors, I'm seeing 60 - 115 fps.

I'm giving myself a couple of months to get up to speed. And if I do, I'll continue and get a 1 year subscription.

Anyway, here are someone's videos (not mine) on youtube showing Eyefinity and Iracing in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YmmXBqSBl4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fYwEj0bQBE

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 21:22 
Insiders
Insiders

pretty awesome, more games should implement this. I know RFactor has a setting for multimonitor, but i havn't tried it.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 21:23 
Editors
Editors

I played rfactor I think it was with the "non fisheye" mode and it drove me nuts it looked horrible and didnt feel right. I had to turn it off and play in normal "fisheye" mode. I wonder if iRacing does it the same way.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 19:44 

Correct me I'm wrong but it looks like Iracing is using the bezel management type that makes it look like your looking out a window that the match of the screens would be perfect if the bezels were not there, IMO more realistic.

The videos look really nice.

Must be ATI is going to give us all kinds of bezel mangement, cause if they were going to give us just what IRacing did then we would have it already.

Deke

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 08:35 

I-racing and Live for Speed have the same system where each monitor is a different viewport. Instead of an enormous amount of fisheye effect at the screen edges with, say, 135 degree FOV, you can have three independent 45 degree views with no artifacting. They also allow you to customise the viewing angle dependent on what angle your monitors are turned in at. Add to this the bevel management system and you have what, in my opinion, should become the defacto standard for eyefinity compatible games.

It seems such a waste to game with 3 screens at up to 4 megapixels each when, due to the fisheye effect, the resolution on the side screens is effectively massively reduced.