Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 18:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 00:27 

Hi,

Im trying to disable powerplay on my 5870. I have tried changing the profile XML like some tutorials tell you but it just does not work. I used GPU-Z to log the core frequency while playing a game and it tells me it drops down to 400Mhz/600Mhz from 865Mhz at random times, effecting the frame rate. I don't give a rats about efficiency, it want this thing working its balls off.

Here are the details of my card:
- XFX 5870 Extreme
- CCC 10.2
- Driver Version 8.14.10.0728
- BIOS Version VER012.014.000.005.035264
- Windows 7

Any help apprecieted.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 14:01 

PowerPlay is entiely GPU activity based, so it only drops down to lower speeds if there isn't sufficient activity to require full clocks on the the GPU. A lowered GPU clock and a lowered frame rate tells me that the CPU isn't supplying enough data to the GPU, so it is clocking down because it is waiting for data from the CPU.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 15:23 

It's not permanent, but using the "AMD GPU clock tool" and setting the clocks once manually will be good until you turn off your computer or change it again. Doing this will totally disable the powerplay and keep it at whatever numbers you want.

Say hi to Mark B for me Dave!

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 15:28 

After you edit the profile go into profile manager, and select the overdrive profile you created. Then click 'Activate'. If you click 'Load profile' without going into the profile menu, or use a hotkey, or even hit 'Activate and close' then it won't stick. You absolutely have to use 'Activate' then manually close the profile window - at least in my experience.

I had to do the XML override in order to keep my GPU at 400Mhz. Without the XML override ATI Overdrive would drop my 5870 down to 157Mhz (which caused massive corruption due to my triple monitor setup) whenever it was enabled.

You'll also want to make sure all 3 Want states have the same memory clock. For me if it had to switch memory speeds too often my mouse cursor would become corrupted.

You can use AMD clock tool, but I'd recommend working at getting Overdrive to do what you want so you don't have to run a program every single time.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 18:29 

If you use MSI Afterburner, and then edit the config file where it says 'Unofficial overclocking' from 0 to 1 it disables powerplay entirely.

(unfortunately I kind of want the opposite, the overclocking ability of Afterburner, the powerplay of ATI Overdrive. Doesn't seem to be any way to have it both ways though.)

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 02:48 

PowerPlay is entiely GPU activity based, so it only drops down to lower speeds if there isn't sufficient activity to require full clocks on the the GPU. A lowered GPU clock and a lowered frame rate tells me that the CPU isn't supplying enough data to the GPU, so it is clocking down because it is waiting for data from the CPU.

Ahhh very good, this is true as im only running a 2.66Ghz celeron D in the mean time while i wait for my new i7 setup. Wouldnt it be an advantage to disable it in this case so that there isnt any further loss in performance in the card having to run logic to determine the throttling?

If you use MSI Afterburner, and then edit the config file where it says 'Unofficial overclocking' from 0 to 1 it disables powerplay entirely.

(unfortunately I kind of want the opposite, the overclocking ability of Afterburner, the powerplay of ATI Overdrive. Doesn't seem to be any way to have it both ways though.)

Great! I will download it and see.

Thanks guys

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 04:39 

Ahhh very good, this is true as im only running a 2.66Ghz celeron D in the mean time while i wait for my new i7 setup. Wouldnt it be an advantage to disable it in this case so that there isnt any further loss in performance in the card having to run logic to determine the throttling?

There shouldn't be any meaningful performance difference. The PowerPlay logic is designed to switch up a state instantaneously, but has a hysteresis of a few seconds before switching down states; so if you have instantaneous low activity then it won't switch back down, but if the activity is low continuously then it will.

If your CPU is throttling you, then the best way to keep the GPU active is to dial up the image quality settings, otherwise you'll just be wasting lots of lovely GPU cycles.... :)

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 11:36 

Thanks for the feedback Dave!

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2010, 23:31 

I can report that after installing MSI Afterburner and changing the config file top enable unsupported overclocking, it has effectively disabled PowerPlay while afterburner is running.

Afterburner is a great piece of software and I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 03:42 

FYI, Afterburner can up your system power requirements massively for two reasons:

1. As stated here, it can disable powerplay. For that reason, I launch it and apply overclocking settings only when I'm going to play a game.

2. As outlined here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=315257 Afterburner lowers your platform timer resolution. This will prevent your processor from going into a "sleep" state, increasing power consumption marginally.

It's a decent app, but it's worth calling out that caveats. As Dave said earlier, all things being equal, (clockspeed wise) the powerplay features don't impact performance. I've personally proven this through exhaustive benchmarking. (I'm very anal about performance) I don't think Afterburner is a good "daily use" application, but for extreme overclocking it's definitely worth while. With a 2.66 celeron, even overclocking is bound to have a minimal impact since your're very heavily bottlenecked CPU wise.