Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 Jul 2024, 18:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2010, 20:09 

I have no idea why they ever thought this would be a good idea. I even talked to ATI rep and XFX rep and they both agreed that it is dumb and they don't agree with it but hey they said. What you save $20 a year on your electric bill, I honestly would not even notice that.

Now I can't get the fan speeds to set properly.

Here is what I want to do. I want to use 2D 3D profiles. Now CCC does not even have this so I am trying to use afterburner. I think ULPS is causing this to be an issue. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

In 2D I want the cards to be on auto. Then while launching a 3D app say a game I want the fans to kick up to 60%.

Now I can set 60% in CCC on both cards, but this will make GPU1 at 60% all the time, and then the 2nd will kick on at 60% while launching a game because of ULPS.

Is there anyway to get both of them to kick on while in 3D. And drop back down to auto while in 2D. Within CCC. Or can we get this to be a new feature? Can you add 2D and 3D profiles to CCC please?

I have made these profiles in Afterburner I made one profile where both cards are on Auto and saved it to profile 1. I made another profile with both GPU's on 60% and saved this to profile 2. Now when I select the second GPU and set it to 60% it drops back down to 20-25% because of ULPS and it being in 2D mode the 2nd GPU is basically off.

Then I launch a game sometimes it works but then the GPU1 will not drop down to auto. Or I launch a game and they do nothing.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 02:14 
Editors
Editors

You can do this within CCC, but it require you to manually switch between 2D and 3D.

Go into overdrive, make your settings. Go into Ati profile manager (top right), make a profile with ATI overdrive ticked and call it 2D. Do the same for 3D. Then you can either assign a hotkey to switch between them, or use the ATI tray icon and select it from there.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 02:16 

Yea that is what I ended up doing thanks though. Now only if they could make a 2D 3D setting to choose where it would auto assign fan speeds. Maybe in a later driver release they can implement this.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 03:13 
Editors
Editors

There is alternatives to turn it off, but I think you are aware of those if you are active on Everest forums. :)

Edit:
Found this for you:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=310904

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 05:16 

There is alternatives to turn it off, but I think you are aware of those if you are active on Everest forums. :)

Edit:
Found this for you:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=310904

That is what I was originally doing. But it would not remember them or it would not always work. Sometimes I would actually have to manually apply the correct profile.

My CCC profiles I made are working fine. I just made two extras one for 60% and another to auto and made a hot key.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 16:03 

Now I have a new problem. When I use those hotkeys for my new fan profiles. I get tearing on both side monitors. This is ridiculous, I then have to go in and disable overdrive and then it goes away.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 01:37 

You should update your BIOS to the newest ATI version. That fixed the flickers for me and why your there you could change the BIOS fan profile so you wouldn't need to use additional software or profiles to mess with the fans. You can change the fan profile with Radeon Bios Editor.

According to Unwinder the developer of Afterburner there is a Performance hit when using Afterburner to control the fan speeds on ATI cards. So its better to let the BIOS handle it or set static speeds.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 01:41 

You should update your BIOS to the newest ATI version. That fixed the flickers for me and why your there you could change the BIOS fan profile so you wouldn't need to use additional software or profiles to mess with the fans. You can change the fan profile with Radeon Bios Editor.

According to Unwinder the developer of Afterburner there is a Performance hit when using Afterburner to control the fan speeds on ATI cards. So its better to let the BIOS handle it or set static speeds.

I have no idea what you are talking about to be honest. If I set it in bios then they would always be at the speed I set in the bios. That defeats the whole purpose of what I was trying to do.

I actually reinstalled the 10.3 driver and now I am not having the flickering issue.

And can you provide facts, proof of him saying that and or a source.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 04:37 

Well the Fan profile in BIOS would be based on fan speed at certain temperature and not the switch from 2D to 3D but the result is the same is it not? If you set 60% fan speed at temperature ranges 50 - 80 degress for example in the BIOS fan profile then it would provide the effect your looking for without using software.

Unwinder talked about it in this thread but it won't effect you if your using auto and not a afterburner custom fan profile. Try to ignore the arguments :lol:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3546409#post3546409

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 05:09 

Well the Fan profile in BIOS would be based on fan speed at certain temperature and not the switch from 2D to 3D but the result is the same is it not? If you set 60% fan speed at temperature ranges 50 - 80 degress for example in the BIOS fan profile then it would provide the effect your looking for without using software.

Unwinder talked about it in this thread but it won't effect you if your using auto and not a afterburner custom fan profile. Try to ignore the arguments :lol:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3546409#post3546409

Hey thanks for posting that, and I beleive all of that and it really makes me want to go back to Nvidia. I am still having cursor issues, ATI overdrive when enabled issues with screen tearing here and there. It just seems like they do take for ever to get things working right. I mean how long have I had this card.