Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 Aug 2024, 05:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 06:01 

So... I am ordering my 5870 very soon and I have no idea what adapter to get. I already have three 22" (1680x1050) DVI monitors exact same monitor so great for an Eyefinity setup.

However I am concerned I have read NOTHING but problems with adapters... i have gone back and forth on dp to dvi (active) vs dp to vga. Now I just want one that will work. Is there a specific one that just works.

No sleep problems, no resolution problems, no black screen problems. I just want to buy an adapter that works... is there a best suggestion?

Thanks a ton I am sure you all are sick of Adapter Questions.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 12:39 

Well I have just listed my apple active adapter for sale today because the past 2 weeks I've spent with a miniDP to VGA adapter (I already had a female miniDP > male DP cable) have been perfect - just as if I had a native DP monitor actually! It has never dropped on me, always works when switching screen mode (eyefinity > extended > single screen etc) with hotkeys.

The active DVI - DP I had was so bad when trying to do anything apart from stay in eyefinity mode the whole time that it would cause the Ati tray icon to often dissapear then reload, CCC would take an age to load up etc. I actually thought it was ati having useless software but it turned out to be the active adapter. With the passive VGA adapter everything just works the way it is supposed to.

As for particular model of adapter I'm not sure exactly. I think what I grabbed was an imitation of the apple VGA > miniDP adapter, which I bought from a local auction site http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=280940730

You'd want to grab a DP one of course. Also I have no idea how a passive DP > DVI would go as I have seen some available claiming up to 1920x1200 resolution support. You might find that would work too. The VGA is certainly a great and cheap option though.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 05:09 

Fry's has the active displayport -> dvi adapter in stock by me. I picked one up the other day (figured I could take it back if it didn't work) after failed attempts with displayport -> vga and it works perfect :)

-Erik