Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 02:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2010, 18:08 

Just thought I would share my experiences with the the passive VGA adapter and ATI CCC 10.6.

Spec : AMD X6 1055T @ 3.2GHz
ATI 5870 ( Latest BIOS )
4GB OCZ Reaper DDR3 Memory
Windows 7
Samsung 23' 2333SW monitors X3 ( Identical EDID )

First off, I have used both the active display port adapter and the passive VGA adapter. Both work on my system, but the active adapter ( The Dell one ) was 'Blinking' so I changed to the passive VGA adapter, it still blinks but far less frequently, once every 4 hours or so rather than every 10 minutes. Interestingly I gave the 'Blinking' active adapter to a friend to use on his 5850 and it works fine, no blinking at all on the OEM BIOS.

With the 10.3 drivers running Eyefinity all of the monitors detected and defaulted to their native resolution, 1920x1080, Eyefinity set it self up in a 3x1 setup.
For what ever reason after I updated to the 10.6 drivers I keep getting a Display port error message and the monitor would default to 600x480. I have swapped the monitors around thinking they might be running slightly different firmware, tried using another passive VGA adapter, reverting to the Active display port adapter and telling ATI not to detect monitors. None of these changed fixed the problem. Eventually I tried reverting to the 10.3 drivers but the problem then carried over to the previously working 10.3 drivers, this I found really strange. I even tried a fresh install of the OS just to make sure I removed every last part of the 10.6 drivers, still having the same problems, so went back to the 10.6 drivers.

Eventually I have found a satisfactory workaround. If I leave the monitors switched off when I boot up the computer everything works fine as it did in the 10.3 drivers.
When I switch between Eyefinity and 3 extended desktops it can sometimes cause the screen to set to 600x480, this can also be rectified by unplugging and plugging back in the passive VGA adapter.

If anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this problem I would appreciate any input, although the workaround is working for the time being.
I'm not convinced its a problem with the 10.6 drivers and more a problem with the EDID not being reported correctly by the adapter.

Many thanks,

Michael

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2010, 13:26 
Administrators
Administrators

Strange, I have used a couple of the VGA adaptors myself without any issues, using only the 10.6 drivers.
Could potentially be an incompatable adaptor maybe?

Also FYI all VGA adaptors are active, they use power provided by the displayport port to power them, unlike the DVI adaptors which require more power so thus use USB/external power supply.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |