Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 02:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 21:30 

HI,

I moved from matrox triple head to eyefinity on my 3 dell 24"s. All has been just perfect with the 5870 I have. It was configured 2x dvi and 1x dp>dvi adapter.

Now I have just checked out a 6950 on my rig, same monitors, same configuration and notice a horrendous tearing on the 2 monitors connected to the DVI outs on the card. Imagine moving a box around the screen and noticing what seems like a step in the verticals. It seems as if it is lagging behind in scanning the monitor lines if you know what I mean.

The card is actually a friends who asked me to try it out to see if it is the same, it obviously is.

Moving the connectiions about makes either dvi outs ok, dp not etc etc.

Any thoughts guys?, surely someone has this issue too?

Different drivers have no effect either, all drivers removed correctly and no nvidia remnants whatsoever, total clean install.

Thankkyou

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 22:24 
Insiders
Insiders

I had this issue when i was using 3 completely different monitors. The issue might be EDID. Like they may use different sync polarities for dp and dvi.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 23:19 

I had this issue when i was using 3 completely different monitors. The issue might be EDID. Like they may use different sync polarities for dp and dvi.

yes, but my monitors are all dell 24" same model.

The friends monitors are different makes, but same size.

The tearing happens on mine and his rigs which are totally different.

could it be the 6950 cards displaying 2x dvi 1x dp>dvi adapter?

I have a sapphire dp>dvi adapter with the 5 series card, the 6 series is using a xfx active eyefinity approved dp>dvi adapter; what do you think about trying a 2 dp>dpi adapters and 1 dvi on the 6 series?

I will have to find
a mini dp >standard dp adapter as the 6 series has only 2 mini dps and 2 dvis.

this has to be a problem eleswhere as the card is on 2 very different rigs?

The card is perfect in 3x monitors before the group is setup, once the group is setup it begins.

cheers

Help?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 10:25 

I have the exact same problem with my 6950. The two DVI output monitors experience severe screen tearing. The mini-DP output monitor (through an Apple active adaptor) has no problem.

My work-around has been to put the mini-DP monitor in the center and the two DVI monitors on the outsides. I notice the tearing much less in my peripheral vision (although it is still there if I focus on either oustide monitor).

All three monitors are identical (Dell 1909, 1440x900). Driver Sweeper was used to clean previous nVidia drivers.

I have a second active DP adaptor on order. When I get it, I will try two monitors on DP and a single monitor on DVI and see if that resolves the problem.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 09:20 

I also have the same tearing issue you guys described here. Some people are talking about it on another forum over here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1576329

I disabled vsync in all my games and that seems to have reduced the tearing considerably. It's still there, but now barely noticeable.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011, 18:23 

Its a problem with how the 69XX series uses both DP and DVI-D. If you use both, your going to get a line/tearing effect on the monitors. There is no "fix" yet, other than either going all DP or getting some kind of hub I read about online (for about $150).

What I did was I set my HDMI and DVI monitor up first, than connected my mini-DP port (with an adapter to go to DVI-D) last, now the tearing only shows up on that one monitor. And since its not the center monitor (since that would be too noticable) and only shows up on the right monitor, its hardly noticable, especially in games. I actually have to try to find the line.

So thats basically all you can do. For now.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011, 11:08 

This is a very sad problem, I had no tearing at all on my 5870 card, but since I "upgraded" to a 6970 I got this tearing thing. Now I'm used to it, but that kind of things should never happen.

Anyway you don't need to switch connectors, you can configure your preferred display in EyeFinity settings on Catalyst Control Center. My DP monitor is on the left, so the center and right monitors are using DVI. If you put a DVI monitor as favorite monitor, both DVI monitor's won't tear, only the DP.

Oculus Rift

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011, 14:16 

If you put a DVI monitor as favorite monitor, both DVI monitor's won't tear, only the DP.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by "favorite monitor"?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 02:12 

[quote]If you put a DVI monitor as favorite monitor, both DVI monitor's won't tear, only the DP.

Edit: After reading the post again, he's probably talking about preferred monitors. This can be set in Desktop Management -> Creating and Arranging Desktops section when in Eyefinity. Right click the monitor and click the "Make Preferred" button. I don't think this fixes the problem because I've always had my center DVI monitor as the preferred one. I still get tearing on the center DVI monitor, and not just the DP one as others have suggested.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 04:08 

[quote][quote]If you put a DVI monitor as favorite monitor, both DVI monitor's won't tear, only the DP.

Edit: After reading the post again, he's probably talking about preferred monitors. This can be set in Desktop Management -> Creating and Arranging Desktops section when in Eyefinity. Right click the monitor and click the "Make Preferred" button. I don't think this fixes the problem because I've always had my center DVI monitor as the preferred one. I still get tearing on the center DVI monitor, and not just the DP one as others have suggested.

well. yesterday I had huge tearing in Mafia 2 on my center monitor. I reinstalled windows, since I had to do that any way. after that I first connected my center and right monitor (dvi, hdmi). after that I connected my left dp monitor and now the tearing is only on the left one instead of center!

I noticed this tearing problem before, but I'm so happy that now it is only on the left one instead of the center. Don't know what exactly caused the tearing to move, but it did :) .