Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 06:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Eyefinity and Crossfire?
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 14:38 

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the whole Eyefinity thing and would like a little clarification, if possible. I'm hopefully buying a new setup soon. I was looking at purchasing 2x 6970s and putting them in CrossFire.

At first I really wanted to try do a 2x3L setup but found that currently, even though the 6970s support Eyefinity 6, there aren't any displays that support chaining and the magical MST hub that was announced last year still hasn't appeared....so it's practically impossible.

Failing that, I have 3 older Dell 2007WFPs that I'd like to use in 3x1L. Is it possible to use Eyefinity 3 with 2x 6970s in CrossFire? Or is Crossfire disabled when using Eyefinity? My understanding is that all displays must be connected to the primary card...but I haven't found any certain information on using Crossfire.

Cheers!
Grant

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 17:49 
Founder
Founder

CrossFire and Eyefinity are supported together.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Eyefinity_FAQ#Is_CrossFireX_supported.3F

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 18:23 

CrossFire and Eyefinity are supported together.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Eyefinity_FAQ#Is_CrossFireX_supported.3F

Wow, don't know how I managed to miss that FAQ! Thanks!

PostPosted: 07 May 2011, 08:18 

I was using 3x1 Eyefinity on a HD 5770. I also was one of the few who was able to get Alpha Protocol working properly "out of the box" on a 3x1 Eyefinity setup. I enjoyed playing the game through a couple of times this way.

When Mafia 2 was released, I enjoyed playing that game on 3x1 Eyefinity as well.

Cut to the chase here, last summer I sold my HD 5770 to a relative and bought myself a HD 6870. At first I had trouble getting a working Mini-DP adapter. I went through several different ones and finally, FINALLY, discovered that my monitors, apparently, will NOT work with any Single Link adapter even though it's active. So, I tried an ACCELL Mini-DP to Dual Link Active adapter and have been enjoying Eyefinity once again.

So, I recently took the next logical step and bought a second HD 6870 in order to use CrossfireX + 3x1 Eyefinity.

GADS!!! Have I had trouble!!!!

Although the Eyefinity configuration remains active when I enable CrossfireX (CFX) I'm encountering some big problems when it comes to some games becoming totally unplayable due to the image becoming GREATLY ZOOMED in.

Examples:

NON-CFX with 3x1 Eyefinity
- Alpha Protocol

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/img3916t.jpg/

CFX + 3x1 Eyefinity - Alpha Protocol

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/156/img3914we.jpg/

As you can see, when I enable CFX the game shows up in such a zoomed in view that there's no way to be able to play it. AND, yes, it's this way if I can get into the game itself past the menu.

Mafia 2 behaves exactly the same way.

I've also got Crysis 2 and, although the introductory part - with the logos - shows up zoomed in, at least once it gets to the player input screen, things become playable. The menu, options, and actual playing are very good.

As for Alpha Protocol and Mafia 2, all I have to do to get them to play properly is to DISABLE CFX. That's it. Nothing else has to be done on my end.

I've resorted to installing Windows 7 x64 on a newly formatted hard drive, installed SP1, got all the updated motherboard, chipset, device drivers, DirectX, etc., etc.

I've tried the bridges that came with the cards, the bridge that came with the motherboard, and even swapped the cards around.

I've reverted to installing the drivers that came with the cards on the CD...after doing a complete uninstall and cleaning out the leftovers. Then, I've updated incrementally to the present release. Nothing has changed!

I have a ticket open with XFX. They have not had any other reports about this.

Soooooo..... I'm here hoping against hope that someone else has at least encountered this problem and, maybe, maybe, maybe, has some solution for it. Otherwise, CFX is pretty much useless to me.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 06:51 
Insiders
Insiders

This is going to be dumb, but have you tried switching around the cards?
Or changing which card you have your monitors hooked up to?
Using earlier drivers?
Is it detecting a different resolution?
Dropping into windowed mode?

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 08:58 

A fellow at Rage3d was encountering the same issue regard to overwhelming zoom. He was exhausted with frustration, on verge of selling his rig; turns out, the Enable GPU scaling value had to be adjusted. I believe to "scale to full size image", but if not go with center timing or "maintain aspect ratio". It fixed all of his problems; described, in exact, as you have.

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 19:40 
Insiders
Insiders

A fellow at Rage3d was encountering the same issue regard to overwhelming zoom. He was exhausted with frustration, on verge of selling his rig; turns out, the Enable GPU scaling value had to be adjusted. I believe to "scale to full size image", but if not go with center timing or "maintain aspect ratio". It fixed all of his problems; described, in exact, as you have.

You gotta be kidding me. That dumb as hell. ATI / AMD should fix that.

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 19:32 

This is going to be dumb, but have you tried switching around the cards?
Using earlier drivers?

Your questions were pretty much answered in my post above.

The game is detecting Bezel compensated resolution of 6048x1080...which is the same that it does when CFX is disabled.
Again, the ONLY difference is when CFX is enabled/disabled.

As for the "some guy over at Rage3D": That's me. And, in regard to getting it working when GPU Scaling was deactivated, I'm having to conclude that was a fluke. It's not working at all no matter what kind of settings I use with the GPU scaling option.

I've wiped the drivers and gone all the way back to the ones that came on the CD with the cards and have tried every driver version since to no avail. Presently using 11.5a Hotfix.

I have a ticket open with XFX. They say no one else has reported this issue.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 09:19 

[quote]This is going to be dumb, but have you tried switching around the cards?
Using earlier drivers?

Your questions were pretty much answered in my post above.

The game is detecting Bezel compensated resolution of 6048x1080...which is the same that it does when CFX is disabled.
Again, the ONLY difference is when CFX is enabled/disabled.

As for the "some guy over at Rage3D": That's me. And, in regard to getting it working when GPU Scaling was deactivated, I'm having to conclude that was a fluke. It's not working at all no matter what kind of settings I use with the GPU scaling option.

I've wiped the drivers and gone all the way back to the ones that came on the CD with the cards and have tried every driver version since to no avail. Presently using 11.5a Hotfix.

I have a ticket open with XFX. They say no one else has reported this issue.

I have the same problem with Alpha Protocol, actually. Can't access any of the "start" functions in Eyefinity because they aren't accessible by virtue of distorted zoom-in. Have no such issue with Mafia 2 or Crysis 2. Have you tried adjusting in-game field of view, if it's even plausible, in the titles demonstrating the problem? I assume you have all the monitors plugged into one card, yes? & that the secondary card isn't operating as an active display device (that is, if you plugged a monitor into the card there is not a signal coming from it?). Obviously if Crossfire is enabled, that wouldn't be possible, but I'm grasping at straws I suppose. Have you tried adjusting your monitor (through the OSD) scaling? Most come with "FULL" "ASPECT", and so forth, settings. Considering you've tested both cards as output devices, and the odds of two separate cards exposing the same unique problem, it may not be a stretch to conclude the cause is extrinsic to the gpus/settings. Monitors, cables, whatever. I know you've covered the bases quite well, so forgive my flimsy suggestions. Good luck buddy.