Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 16:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 May 2011, 16:04 

I've been a long time reader/visitor (since 2008) just not I've got some questions that I can't seem to find an answer to.
These are just some ideas floating around in my head.

1. Is it possible to use crossfire and extended desktop (mode on windows 7 X64 ultimate) at the same time?
For example 3 monitors (there's also 3 GPU's), each monitor is connected to a GPU's DVI port.

2. Is it possible to use windowed mode (while playing a game) and resize the window across all 3 monitors?
If so, will each GPU render what is on it's respective screen?

3. Is it possible to use ultramon (the greatest thing since sliced bread, ever created :bowdown ) and eyefinity?

4.Is there a way to trick windows into playing a movie across all three screens. Without using eyefinity?
If so what media/movie player is capable of doing this?

5. Eyefinity (at times) stretches an image (without fixing the FOV). Will eyefinity do this with a program?
For example if i were to press the "maximize" icon on windows media player. Will it correctly span across all three monitors, or will the text/image be stretched.

6. Why is it so hard to find any screenshots or videos about multitasking with eyefinity?
It's almost like people use one monitor for nongaming then turn on eyefinirty when they want to play games.

7. How does eyefinity work with the windows snap feature?
Is it possible for me to have two programs snapped to one screen, then another two programs on another screen and another two programs on another screen?

I come from the SoftTH world (since 2009, I've been gaming on multiple monitors), and I've been flirting with the idea of eyefinity But I have a couple of strange questions that I'd like to be answered.

PostPosted: 23 May 2011, 17:07 
Administrators
Administrators

I've been a long time reader/visitor (since 2008) just not I've got some questions that I can't seem to find an answer to.

1. Is it possible to use crossfire and extended desktop (mode on windows 7 X64 ultimate) at the same time?
For example 3 monitors (there's also 3 GPU's), each monitor is connected to a GPU's DVI port.

2. Is it possible to use windowed mode (while playing a game) and resize the window across all 3 monitors?

3. Is it possible to use ultramon (the greatest thing since sliced bread, ever created :bowdown ) and eyefinity?

4.Is there a way to trick windows into playing a movie across all three screens. Without using eyefinity?

5. Eyefinity (at times) stretches an image (without fixing the FOV). Will eyefinity do this with a program?
For example if i were to press the "maximize" icon on windows media player. Will it correctly span across all three monitors, or will the text/image be stretched.

6. Why is it so hard to find any screenshots or videos about multitasking with eyefinity?
It's almost like people use one monitor for nongaming then turn on eyefinirty when they want to play games.

Is it possible for me to have two programs snapped to one screen, then another two programs on another screen and another two programs on another screen?

I come from the SoftTH world (since 2009, I've been gaming on multiple monitors), and I've been flirting with the idea of eyefinity But I have a couple of strange questions that I'd like to be answered.

1. As far as I am aware, it is not possible to crossfire + extended desktop across multiple cards, when enabling crossfire, only the primaray card will output any video signal.

2a. Yes, some games will resize, others need some tweaks or hacks for you to be able to set the windowed resolution.
2b. Yes, each gpu will render whats on its respective screen. Note that windowed mode does have a perfomance hit on most games.

3. Ultramon does kinda work, it just sees 1 monitor form the gfx card, so any multi mon features like send to monitor x wont work, as your have only 1 monitor to select form, you could however also uses AMD's own Hydravision which gives a snap to grip and has some functions and features similar to ultramon.

4. Really eyefinity is required see this thread, unless you can find a media player that does not use overlay technology to display the video as overlay technology works only on the primary monitor.
VLC and MPC-HCE do have methods for not using overlay technology, but may still be limited to the maximum resolution of a single mnitor (need to conduct further testing).

5. This depends on how you have the image scaling setup in media player, it could stretch it, it could keep the aspect ratio and sit in the middle with black bars at the sides.

6. We are too busy multitasking with other tasks to take time out to make a video about our boring habits. :)
I often use mine for playing TV on the right right, while I code on the left and test my code and browse the web in the middle, when its game time, i have the game running in the middle with tv on the right and teamspeak//mumble/steam chat etc on the left monitor... unless the game supports eyefinity then its all screen gaming, I dont ever shutdown to just 1 screen, its 3 screens all the time for me, be it extended or eyefinity modes.

7. Eyefinity causes issues with the snap feature, as windows sees eyefinity as 1 giant monitor, it just snaps to the outside edges of the outside monitors. :(
However! you can use AMD's HydraVision to create a virtual grid that your applications can snap to instead of using the Win7 default snap feature.

Oh, and :welcome :)

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 23 May 2011, 20:32 

Thank you for answering that so quickly, this changes a lot of things for me.

PostPosted: 24 May 2011, 08:42 
Insiders
Insiders

1. Crossfire is designed to use only ports out of a single card. It's forced that way by driver mechanics. Now if you have a card with a bunch of ports out on the main card, just plug in extended displays off the same card you do your Eyefinity grouping ports out too with.

2. Yes, if the game has a windowed mode setting.

3. Not on the Eyefinity grouping itself, but on extended displays while Eyefinity is running. Eyefinity in all respects makes the OS think it's a single pseudo-display. You'll have a single stanadard OS taskbar across all displays in an Eyefinity grouping.

4. Yes, most video players have in their preferences to set video rendering output to a non-overlay renderer. The two notable ones I use that allow this are VLC and Media Player Classic. MPC has some truly great controls and options in it, while VLC obviously can play about anything you download.

5. Not totally sure what you mean by this. Are you referring to game interface overlays, or desktop? Regardless, every application behaves differently when Eyefinity is used. It's best to just read up on WSGF about compatibility or if not here at least Google it before purchase.

6. Eyefinity treats the groupings as a single pseudo-display 100% of the time. When you're out of game you can also turn off Eyefinity grouping and use the displays individually, or setup a desktop snap-to grid for multiple windows. There are multiple utility options for the snap-to window grids. I personally use Matrox's Powerdesk and not the AMD Hydragrid stuff.

7. See my answer for 6. Matrox has this stuff down perfectly since the TH2G has been out for years. It's why I use Powerdesk to setup custom grids. There are a bunch of options for this out there though.