Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 21:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you think
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2011, 21:08 

Hi there fellow forum buddy's

Joined up here then had to take time out due to a lot of RMA's of components and time out from my PC what id taken time and money to get it how i wanted it... anyway just thought id share some photo's with you all of my build and get some feedback from all you builders out there..
Ill add some more to it when taken so more photo's of the whole set up wheel and chair

http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/JasonCoates2010/PC%20Builds/

You could say the drimel come into play with the double BK Rad Mod and with it been my first water cooled job it went quiet dry.. :twothumb always at room temp 26 - 30 standing with low fan and 26 - 33 gaming on 50% fans (2 x 120mm fans bring air down through Rad into case) really quiet even with the Sharky golfball dimple high powered jobs i have at the moment.

Anyway thanks for looking in on this one all and any feedback good or bad be great...just go easy on the bad

ASUS CROSSHAIR IV

8GB OCZ B.E Ram

ASUS HD5870 2GB ROG GPU

EK water cooled in a CORSAIR 600T modded with double rad on top grill

3 x ASUS 24" HD Monitors in EYEFINITY

M-Audio 40 speakers..

BUILD PHOTO'S BELOW

Post subject: Noice!Only critique I'd
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 01:44 

Noice!

Only critique I'd give you is to be mindful of your coolant and blocks. Most of those dyes settle out of the liquid clogging blocks, necessitating cleaning. Best way for color is colored tubing IMHO.

Post subject: Skripka wrote:Noice!Only
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 10:25 

Noice!

Only critique I'd give you is to be mindful of your coolant and blocks. Most of those dyes settle out of the liquid clogging blocks, necessitating cleaning. Best way for color is colored tubing IMHO.

Thanks for your reply..
How often do you think a clean out and what with my friend

ASUS CROSSHAIR IV

8GB OCZ B.E Ram

ASUS HD5870 2GB ROG GPU

M-Audio 40 speakers..

BUILD PHOTO'S BELOW

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 11:35 

Thanks for your reply..

Keep an eye on thermal performance degradation.

For a thorough cleaning, you'll need to pull the block ( s ) apart completely. And go at the copper heat plate with a toothbrush and ketchup. Due to the hassle of doing this, as well as coolant additives being expensive in addition to a bit of a hassle, most folks in the H2O cooling community have gone to using straight distilled water+biocide (either a KillCoil or PTNuke). BTW-if you plan on changing coolants note that dies will permanently alter your tubing color. You want to change colors or go distilled, you'll need to get new hose.

Note that some folks have had luck running certain water additives, claiming they never see dye precipitating out.

Post subject: Skripka wrote:Jay.C
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 16:07 

[quote]

Thanks for your reply..

Keep an eye on thermal performance degradation.

For a thorough cleaning, you'll need to pull the block ( s ) apart completely. And go at the copper heat plate with a toothbrush and ketchup. Due to the hassle of doing this, as well as coolant additives being expensive in addition to a bit of a hassle, most folks in the H2O cooling community have gone to using straight distilled water+biocide (either a KillCoil or PTNuke). BTW-if you plan on changing coolants note that dies will permanently alter your tubing color. You want to change colors or go distilled, you'll need to get new hose.

Note that some folks have had luck running certain water additives, claiming they never see dye precipitating out.

Really useful information there my friend and thanks for taking the time to do so..

Yeah your not kidding regarding prices on the H2o coolent...really miking the price and post like these will bring the prices down when more people start using there own mix...
What be best to clean out the Res been a bay unit with built in pump???... didn't think about dye clogging stuff up so thinking about getting onto this soon has and pulling all the dyed H2o out my loop..

Look forward hearing more about this and again thanks.

ASUS CROSSHAIR IV

8GB OCZ B.E Ram

ASUS HD5870 2GB ROG GPU

M-Audio 40 speakers..

BUILD PHOTO'S BELOW

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 01:52 

Hey looks really great.

I love the asus matrix card...Been running mine for about a year and then just found a deal on a 2nd so bumped up to crossfire.

Appears we have the same taste in monitors as well except I have 3 Asus 22s instead of the 24s! Bet it's nice having a few extra inches haha

I like the look of that soundcard as well. In fact I'm looking for a new PCIe one since mine is PCI and the crossfire upgrade blocks my PCI slot. Would you recommend it? It's an Asus right?

-Ian

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 08:13 

Hey looks really great.

I love the asus matrix card...Been running mine for about a year and then just found a deal on a 2nd so bumped up to crossfire.

Appears we have the same taste in monitors as well except I have 3 Asus 22s instead of the 24s! Bet it's nice having a few extra inches haha

I like the look of that soundcard as well. In fact I'm looking for a new PCIe one since mine is PCI and the crossfire upgrade blocks my PCI slot. Would you recommend it? It's an Asus right?

-Ian

Hi Ian,
Would'nt recomend the ASUS Crosshair III with all the trouble i had with it trying to update the bios after a RAM issue error.... i now have the Crosshair IV which has a better way getting into your BIOS after a crash.
The sound card come's with the Crosshair III as a PCi Card but on the IV it's built into the board..
Had the choice to upgrade with a second GPU but let it go due to having two cards would not give any edge on 60fps monitors that one GPU can give... two will more likly give better benchmarks but that's it... and how may game's like crossfire!
Don't shop with your eye's like i did when buying my board...maybe add a thread with all your want's in a board and let the masses recommend be the way to go..

My plans are to keep the ROG 5870 as long has possible until early 2012 when i upgrade all monitors to 3D and get a proven board with the Lucid Hydra chip and buy a second ROG card AMD/NVIDEA Then pair it up with the HD5870 for 3D performance... My eye's be looking out for feedback over the year regarding the Lucid and also the Bulldozer for my future build.

Thanks for looking in Ian

ASUS CROSSHAIR IV

8GB OCZ B.E Ram

ASUS HD5870 2GB ROG GPU

M-Audio 40 speakers..

BUILD PHOTO'S BELOW

Post subject: I'm one of the (lucky?
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 11:14 
Editors
Editors

I'm one of the (lucky? jammy?) few who hasn't seen dye separating out of pre-mixed coolant.

Yet.

I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but for now it's so much easier to use pre-mixed stuff, especially since proper distilled water in the UK is quite expensive and/or hard to find. It's all either deionised (not the same thing) or purified via reverse osmosis (often marketed as the same thing, but isn't).

But I've only been watercooling a single system for... hang on, it's been two years... I've checked the coolant every four-to-six months in that time and never noticed any separation. I've even filtered it to look for any particulate I couldn't see 'loose' in the loop.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2011, 07:49 

I'm one of the (lucky? jammy?) few who hasn't seen dye separating out of pre-mixed coolant.

Yet.

I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but for now it's so much easier to use pre-mixed stuff, especially since proper distilled water in the UK is quite expensive and/or hard to find. It's all either deionised (not the same thing) or purified via reverse osmosis (often marketed as the same thing, but isn't).

But I've only been watercooling a single system for... hang on, it's been two years... I've checked the coolant every four-to-six months in that time and never noticed any separation. I've even filtered it to look for any particulate I couldn't see 'loose' in the loop.

I know they design this coolant to do not just that and if it wasn't for the above posts id never know any different unless i cought it while reading somewhere else but what rang bell's was when i puncherd my Rad and once removed and emptied i found the hole and around the hole it started to fill back up with red dye what was turning solid...like a silicone gel which at the time thought not much of it.... until i read above and started to think this just may be possible...
OK it may not happern to me but did not want to take the chance and scared me enough to spend £20 on the best water :doh ..new tubes and a kill coil and all on the thoughts...Just in case

Thanks for sharing you findings and time

ASUS CROSSHAIR IV

8GB OCZ B.E Ram

ASUS HD5870 2GB ROG GPU

M-Audio 40 speakers..

BUILD PHOTO'S BELOW