Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 22:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 22:36 

Dear WSGF enthusiasts,

I recently upgraded to a new build with a 3570K and HD6870's in crossfire. On my old build I had a Q9550 with HD5770's. On that system I played Mafia 2 and Bioshock in Eyefinity on my 3 1680x1050 screens. My OS back then was Win7.

On my new system I installed Win8. I installed my games, the latest AMD drivers etc.
And now im stuck with a very strange problem. None of my eyefinity games appear to work correctly.

Bioshock looks like this:
The weapon and hud are supposed to be in the center screen. My game is a zoomed in mess with the weapon on the right screen. The main menu is stretched over 3 screens and looks horrible.

Mafia 2 is weird too. The main screen is supposed to look like this.

But when playing all text is on my left and right screens. And the HUD is spread all over too. The intro movie is incredibly zoomed in and overall its a mess too.

I have posted threads on the 2K games tech support website because I couldnt find any answers elsewhere. They didnt have any either.
I have reinstalled my games. The catalyst driver package. Downgraded 12.10 to 12.10 Beta. Swapped around cables. Created display groups. Recreated display groups. And so on.

I think there is something wrong in how windows tells the games the screens are setup. The games receive one huge widescreen resolution instead of 3x the monitors native resolutions. To the game the huge 1 resolution is 1 screen then, hence not having centered huds on multiple games. On my HD5770's this never went wrong though so its just a lucky guess.
The only thing that changed except for my whole new system is 1 DVI cable. Maybe that cable is messing stuff up and preventing windows from correctly identifying and telling games theyre supposed to do eyefinity.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this please tell me im really out :doh:
Im getting a new cable tomorrow to see if this changes anything just to be sure.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2012, 01:51 

Did Bioshock work in eyefinity natively? I don't think so. You need a little app called Widescreen Fixer and select Bioshock from the list of games and then start Bioshock. Press the * key to enable and disable the fix.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 19:59 

I still havent found a fix for this. Max Payne 3 works fine as does Doom BFG but Tomb Raider is stretched with zoomed in videos again.
Crysis 3 works aswell, but like Tomb Raider, zoomed videos.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 00:09 

Maybe you see Mafia II like this?

Honestly, I have no clue. I have just tested Mafia II on my Windows 8 partition (Catalyst 13.2 beta 6) and aspect ratio is like in this photo (it's a picture of my computer) when using Eyefinity 3x1 plus a 4th monitor in extended desktop mode. However, if I disable that 4th monitor, Mafia II works perfectly fine in 3x1, in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

I am aware of some users having problems in normal Eyefinity 3x1 in some games, I wonder how these games are calculating the aspect ratio, because as far as I know they are not using the AML Display Libraries (AKA Eyefinity SDK) to query the graphics driver and get display and bezel configuration. So, apparently most games work fine for some uses and not so well for others.

Oculus Rift