Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 19:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 5x1 Portrait
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 06:37 

I am looking for some help with a 5x1 portrait setup.
Right now I am experimenting with setting up a 5x1 portrait eyefinity setup. I want to try it out before I invest more money into this project.
Right now I am using 3 20" HP LP2065 4:3 monitors in a 3x1 portrait setup and I have two Dell 19" widescreen monitors set up, one on each side in portrait as well. Surprisingly the 19" widescreen monitors are the same physical height as the HP 4:3 monitors. I am running the HP's at 3072x1280 and the Dell's at 800x1280.
I am using a 5830 to run the eyefinity setup and the two Dell monitors are run on the integrated graphics on my motherboard. I am using SoftTH to run games at 5x1 portrait. I have only tried this in Dirt 3 so far.
When I toggle between 3x1 portrait eyefinity and the 5x1 portrait the FOV remains the same. The image is just stretched to fill all 5 screens.
My question is, does 5x1 portrait setup add any FOV above a 3x1 portrait setup?
Is the FOV stretching because I am using SoftTH? If I were using all HP LP2065 monitors and a Eyefinity 6 card would I still be getting the same result?
My plan if this works out, is to by two more HP Lp2065 monitors and a 7950 or 7970 graphics card to run all 5 monitors in 5x1 eyefinity.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 17:35 
Insiders
Insiders

My question is, does 5x1 portrait setup add any FOV above a 3x1 portrait setup?

Yes it does, there must be something wrong with Dirt3. Most likely it's detecting your eyefinity setup through AMD's APIs and going off that for FOV adjustments.
If Dirt 3 is like Dirt 2, you should be able to change FOV settings. I believe it was Automatic or something like that, that I got to work.
If not check to see if there's a console where you can manually adjust the FOV value.
Is the FOV stretching because I am using SoftTH?

It might be SoftTH. What I would do is, go into windowed mode, then move and expand the window so it fills all the screen.
If I were using all HP LP2065 monitors and a Eyefinity 6 card would I still be getting the same result?

You would get the correct result, because Dirt 3 should be able to detect your eyefinity settings.

One other thing you may want to try is, un-grouping all the monitors, the using SoftTH to setup the resolution, so Dirt3 doesn't detect eyefinity is in use, then it should give the correct FOV.
This may increase overhead though.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 01:45 

I went into window mode and spanned the game across all 5 monitors and that worked. thanks for your help.