Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 22:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Think Again
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 16:36 

[quote]For $100,000 worth of projectors I am not impressed. The area is too small to use them to their potential anyway. I think even using $1000 1080P projectors in a similarly dark room you would have no issues to the point where you feel adding $97,000 MORE would alleviate them. In fact the only benefit appears to be the 120Hz refresh rate listed on the specs.

I'd still probably go with three 720P 120Hz projectors http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD66-2500ANSI-Lumens-4000/dp/B002ZWU33U

Still waiting to see 5-6 720P projectors in portrait with edge blending.

I fully agree with you and Brad (sorry for calling you Brat:). 120 Hz is an important feature if you like to play games - I´m speaking of 2D !!

1080p vs 720p means a higher resolution of 2.25 times as high. If you choose a screen size that is smaller by the same factor, you get the same pixel intensity. Sure, bigger is better but 3 or 5 720p will still be great for a fraction of the cost.

If we keep the screen size low enough (maybe sit closer) the brigthness of the Optomas might be bright enough to use a black screen which greatly enhances black level and contrast like this one here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVXN9H4Wh6E&feature=related

These canvas are simply sprayed with the right paint and quite cheap in comparison to professional ones.
[quote]For $100,000 worth of projectors I am not impressed. The area is too small to use them to their potential anyway. I think even using $1000 1080P projectors in a similarly dark room you would have no issues to the point where you feel adding $97,000 MORE would alleviate them. In fact the only benefit appears to be the 120Hz refresh rate listed on the specs.

I'd still probably go with three 720P 120Hz projectors http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD66-2500ANSI-Lumens-4000/dp/B002ZWU33U

Still waiting to see 5-6 720P projectors in portrait with edge blending.

I fully agree with you and Brad (sorry for calling you Brat:). 120 Hz is an important feature if you like to play games - I´m speaking of 2D !!

1080p vs 720p means a higher resolution of 2.25 times as high. If you choose a screen size that is smaller by the same factor, you get the same pixel intensity. Sure, bigger is better but 3 or 5 720p will still be great for a fraction of the cost.

If we keep the screen size low enough (maybe sit closer) the brigthness of the Optomas might be bright enough to use a black screen which greatly enhances black level and contrast like this one here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVXN9H4Wh6E&feature=related

These canvas are simply sprayed with the right paint and quite cheap in comparison to professional ones.

Great choice for your video demo of your projector. Can't beat a full wall view of Jessica Alba in a bikini !!

** Edit: Sorry for the double reply. I can't seem to fix that.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 20:15 
Insiders
Insiders

If you had to built this week I'd say keep to Intel. If you were to build next month I'd say wait for the non-marketing reviews to come out on Bulldozer and then choose what specs best suit you AMD or Intel. Right now Intel is better, but next month only time will tell which is better though unbiased benching once the new CPUs get out into the wild. I've had 24 hours of sit down time with an AMD Bulldozer build for one of the AMD events, but ES is not representative of the final product, so I reserve judgement on the CPU until it's in the wild.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 15:35 

Am I reading to much into it that you weren't very impressed with it?

I'm hoping the 8-core Bulldozer will show its worth in a game like Battlefield 3 which supposedly can take advantage of all the cores one can throw at it. I saw some benchmarks a Russian site did of the BF3 Alpha and if they are legit it finally shows the Phenom II x6 as a worth while purchase where the extra cores make a difference because it was far ahead of the Phenom II x4 and competitive with the Core i5 and i7 they used. I take this with a grain of salt even if they are legit because this is an Alpha test but I hope the final game shows true scaling for more physical cores.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2182821

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 11:03 
Insiders
Insiders

Am I reading to much into it that you weren't very impressed with it?

I'm hoping the 8-core Bulldozer will show its worth in a game like Battlefield 3 which supposedly can take advantage of all the cores one can throw at it. I saw some benchmarks a Russian site did of the BF3 Alpha and if they are legit it finally shows the Phenom II x6 as a worth while purchase where the extra cores make a difference because it was far ahead of the Phenom II x4 and competitive with the Core i5 and i7 they used. I take this with a grain of salt even if they are legit because this is an Alpha test but I hope the final game shows true scaling for more physical cores.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2182821

You're reading too much into it. I prefer to reserve judgement until I can see the hardware out in the wild and on my own terms. I have no idea on BF3 as I'm not too good at shooters. There is a lot of buzz going around on the game though, so there are tons of information out there to be had. At issue is, just like with using Bulldozer ES, BF3 alpha testing is not indicative of the final product performance either. Most 3D engine and art optimizations come late in the development process for game devs in general, so it's pretty difficult to judge just what to expect either way until it's out in retail.

For me I'm a pretty cut and dry realist. I have to form my opinion about something first hand. While it's interesting to read other's opinion and forecasts on both BF3 and Bulldozer, I'll not know what I think of either until I sit down on my own with both in retail form.