Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 22:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 20:56 
Insiders
Insiders

Looks like a decent material for circular. Good to see it be able to conform to that tight of a curve with no real noticeable bow. Rose Brand Tendo material gave me fits with the bowing it did even under slight tension. What method of attachment to the frame?

Depending upon the application I might need has tall as 96". I currently use 60" projection height on a 7 foot radius 180 degree screen.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 21:50 

That one is industrial Velcro most use lace and gromit.
if you look at the left of this screen picture you can see were we haven't pulled the stitched edge to the top of the frame so it shows a small edge wrinkle.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2011, 22:39 
Insiders
Insiders

Interesting, looks like the frame is rigid enough to allow for the material to be free floating, attached just on the edges so it could be both front or rear projection.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 02:29 

Will this correct for the edge stretching seen on most every game when using 3 monitors? Is there anything else out there that will correct this? Anything for less than hundreds of dollars? That kind of money to fix a mild annoyance is way out of my reach.

Post subject: ricknau wrote:Will this
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 05:40 
Insiders
Insiders

Will this correct for the edge stretching seen on most every game when using 3 monitors? Is there anything else out there that will correct this? Anything for less than hundreds of dollars? That kind of money to fix a mild annoyance is way out of my reach.

The rendering distortion that occurs on the outer edge of the span has to do with the game 3d engine camera and how it handles ultrawide aspect ratio rendering. This is an issue internal to the game, not something a third party app could easily address. While pre-warping apps do alter how the projectors presents things on the screen, it isn't removing fisheye or other game camera artifacts that are game specific. Rather, pre-warping merely ensures the content properly conforms to the physical geometry of a projection screen.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 23:40 

$300 seems pretty affordable and I welcome more competition to this small market.

In my opinion, this is the single most important issue when it comes to ultra-widescreen and curved projection gaming. It is up to 3d game engine designers to allow for multiple render points across your display. Most hardcore flight and racing sims support this, but it is extremely rare in mainstream software.

It is a small market so it is understandable, but also a chicken and egg problem. If it were available to consumers it would only serve to further push demand for high-end GPUs, I think.