Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 12:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1920x1200x3?
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009, 12:06 

As long as you already have 2 cards you may as well run it directly as 1920x1200x3 with softth

Yeap, that is certainly the way to go, if you have two cards.
I'm out of luck as my motherboard has only one PCI-E slot. So for me it isn't possible without not only buying another card, but I would also have to get another MB.
I now have the three monitors (two are here and the last one is on the way). I'll be getting the TH2Go in a week or two.
I hope by the time I build another system (in a year or two) that Matrox will have support for the higher resolution, either via a new TH2Go design or gfx cards with the technology built in.
Either way, I feel certain it will someday be supported, just no idea when that may be. My luck, two weeks after I buy the current model, lol.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009, 20:10 

Actually my reply was aimed at savlaka, as for only 1 pci-e slot, you could always try with a pci card, though performance is likely to suffer.

Post subject: rply
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 13:21 

Do you already have three 24" monitors with you? If not, then don't bother getting them because 3x1920x1200 just won't happen...at least in 2 years time.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 18:51 

Hi

They are not 24", they are 26".
I already had one and decided that 2 more would give me the screen area I was looking for. I wouldn't want anything smaller than 24", but instead of getting 3 of them, I just got two more 26".

I checked the res first, just to see how it looked. It isn't as sharp as at native, but acceptable all the same. I can live with it in Windows and in games, it isn't all the much different anyway. In Fallout 3 for example, one would be hard pressed to tell the difference, so I don't believe I will be disappointed.

Even 1440x900 isn't bad, just bigger fonts and slightly less sharp text.

So until the hardware does become available for 1920x1200x3, this will be perfectly fine, for me.

Thank you for the suggestion though, as somebody may consider it unacceptable to run at lower res.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 23:04 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, HDMI 1.4 might be what's needed to 'solve' the bandwidth issues with dual-link DVI.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 23:46 

HDMI 1.4 would be a bit of a stop-gap solution, and would cause all sorts of headaches with people plugging a 1.4 device into a 1.3 port and not being able to get full resolution out of it. Jumping right to DisplayPort would probably make the most sense...

There's always the possibility of Nvidia and ATi implementing a proper span mode that can be used across two cards (and three monitors), which would make both the TH2G and SoftTH redundant.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 06:09 

There's always the possibility of Nvidia and ATi implementing a proper span mode that can be used across two cards (and three monitors), which would make both the TH2G and SoftTH redundant.

That could kinda explain NVIDIA's drop of support for high res. I noticed a few post about new drivers not working correctly. Maybe that's been fixed in the latest drivers though, I'm not sure.
But if not, maybe they are just planning full support on some new nvidia designed card? Just speculation, I don't know anything about such a thing.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 18:25 
Insiders
Insiders

HDMI 1.4 would be a bit of a stop-gap solution, and would cause all sorts of headaches with people plugging a 1.4 device into a 1.3 port and not being able to get full resolution out of it. Jumping right to DisplayPort would probably make the most sense...

Would be great at the consumer level. On the nVidia side it's called SLI mosaic mode. nVidia simply doesn't "get it" though and doesn't realize there is a market for it. Heck, I'd be willing to pay a small license fee just for nVidia to unlock it on my gaming systems. I hate manually setting up SoftTH and TH2G is resolution limited and an added hardware expense which we shouldn't have to have. SLI mosaic mode is in every nVidia driver we install, it's just software/driver locked to specific Quadro premium hardware at the moment.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_sli_mosaic_mode.html

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 12:46 

[quote]HDMI 1.4 would be a bit of a stop-gap solution, and would cause all sorts of headaches with people plugging a 1.4 device into a 1.3 port and not being able to get full resolution out of it. Jumping right to DisplayPort would probably make the most sense...

Would be great at the consumer level. On the nVidia side it's called SLI mosaic mode. nVidia simply doesn't "get it" though and doesn't realize there is a market for it. Heck, I'd be willing to pay a small license fee just for nVidia to unlock it on my gaming systems. I hate manually setting up SoftTH and TH2G is resolution limited and an added hardware expense which we shouldn't have to have. SLI mosaic mode is in every nVidia driver we install, it's just software/driver locked to specific Quadro premium hardware at the moment.

Damn that could be good. I'm sure i've seen previously someone either flash the gpu's bios or something with the driver to get their regular nvidia card recognized as the equivalent quadro card. Though guess that won't help if it's only for those quadro boxes :(

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 14:01 
Editors
Editors

Next time I buy an nVidia card, I'm gonna make sure I get one I can flash to the equivalent Quadro and check that out.