Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 11:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 22:13 
Founder
Founder

I got this in my Inbox this afternoon. Question is, does the DP interface between the GFX and the TH2Go DP mean we can do 5040x1050 @ 60Hz.

Code:
New Matrox Graphics eXpansion Modules Support Next-Generation DisplayPort Technology

Montreal, Canada, June 23, 2009/PRNewswire/-Matrox Graphics Inc., the leading manufacturer of specialized graphics solutions, today unveiled the Matrox DualHead2Go DP Edition  <http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/> and TripleHead2Go DP Edition <http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/>  Graphics eXpansion Modules (GXMs) for DisplayPort-enabled computers and monitors. These latest GXMs incorporate the next-generation display interface standard, allowing users to benefit from DisplayPort technology on two or three displays.

"Matrox is pleased to offer its first external multi-display upgrades to DisplayPort adopters seeking maximum display performance across multiple displays," says Samuel Recine, Director of Business Development, Matrox Graphics. "For example, with the new TripleHead2Go DP Edition, the DisplayPort interface allows users to easily connect three displays to a single notebook to generate a purely digital connection from system to monitors, while enabling resolution support of up to an impressive 1680x1050 per external display."

The Matrox DualHead2Go DP Edition and TripleHead2Go DP Edition GXMs are external multi-display upgrades that work in conjunction with your system's existing GPU to connect two or three displays-at supported resolutions of up to 2x1920x1200 and 3x1680x1050 respectively-to a single system. With additional onscreen real estate, business professionals can increase productivity by working across multiple monitors, and gamers enjoy a fully immersive, Surround Gaming experience. What's more, the new space-saving GXMs are optimized for reduced power consumption, and are packaged in an environmentally friendly, recyclable box, making them the greenest multi-display upgrades to date.

Supported Operating Systems
   DualHead2Go DP and TripleHead2Go DP Editions are compatible with Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Windows XP (32/64bit), Windows Vista(tm) (32/64bit), Windows Server 2003/2008 (32/64bit), Mac® OS X v10.4, Mac OX v10.5 Leopard, and Linux*.

*Contact Matrox for tested versions of leading Linux distributions.

Availability and Pricing
   Matrox DP Graphics eXpansion Modules will be available Q2/2009.

*   D2G-DP-IF $229.00 USD
   *   T2G-DP-IF $329.00 USD

For more information on Graphics eXpansion Modules http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm , contact us at 1-800-361-1408 (North America) or [email protected].

About Matrox Graphics Inc.
   Matrox Graphics is a leading manufacturer of graphics solutions for professional markets. In-house design expertise, top-to-bottom manufacturing, and dedicated customer support make our solutions the premier choice in industries that require stable, high-reliability products. Matrox is a privately held company headquartered in Montreal, Canada. For more information, visit www.matrox.com/graphics

###

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 23:14 
Editors
Editors

Sounds like a DisplayPort version of the DH2Go/TH2Go - nothing else changed, I imagine. Maybe Mark B can give us some more info?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 23:21 
Editors
Editors

No doubt Paddy's already got one :lol:

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 23:52 
Founder
Founder

I didn't get any advance notice. I sent Mark B a PM to ask about it.

Dual-Link DVI is 7.92 Gbit/s. DP is 8.64 Gbit/s. This is an increase of .72Gbit/s, or 9.1%. The difference between 57Hz and 60Hz is 5.26%. There should be enough bandwidth in the DP link between the GFX and TH2Go to accommodate 5040x1050@60Hz. Would require a new TH2Go and a new GFX, but could allow DVI signal from TH2Go to Monitor.

With GFX updated on a somewhat regular basis, the only real investment would be a new TH2Go, if the DVI connection on the monitors still worked.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 06:00 

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/resolution/dp/resolutions.html

5040 X 1050 @ 60Hz is supported.

Are there any cards on the market that have a Displayport output?

Edit:
-Would a HDMI to Displayport converter work?
-Displayport 1.2 is supposed to have 4 X 5.4 Gbit/s. Of course it's not out yet.

Edit2:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20090617043045_IDT_Develops_Industry_s_First_Multi_Monitor_DisplayPort_Solution.html

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 08:39 

What we really need right now is a 2 dvi outputs to one displayport adapter/merger so as to remove any gpu replacement need.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 09:51 

Hi

Will a DVI (from GFX card) to Displayport (to the units input) converter work?

My monitors have HDMI inputs, but my gfx card is DVI.
I know that I would not get 5040 X 1050 @ 60Hz with this setup, but would like to know if it will work at lower res, for now. Then sometime down the road my next GFX card could be Displayport.

I am buying a unit this week, but if this will work, I will get the new one, even though I can't use it to it's fullest right now.

Thank you for any advice :)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 19:52 

Good:
- 5040 x 1050 is supported at 60 Hz. Great; users who wish to use this resolution should no longer need to heavily research their intended monitors to make sure they work at 57 Hz.

Bad:
- Where on earth do we get a desktop GPU with DisplayPort out? AFAIK no such thing exists. There are laptops with DisplayPort (such as the new Alienware M17x) which could probably be used, but if you don't have one anyway...

Unknowns:
- How do adapters work? Assuming one has a DVI GPU and three DVI monitors, we would need four adapters.
- Presumably, since dual-link DVI does not support 5040x1050 @ 60 Hz, DVI adapted to DisplayPort used for TripleHead2Go input would be a no-go for the same resolution and refresh rate.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 20:12 

I had a look at the manual and it says nothing about being able to hook up to a gfx card using a dvi out to dpp in. The only reference to any kind of adapter is dpp to dvi for the monitors.

So I am going to get the current digital edition. Besides, I fully expect to see NVIDIA or ATI come out with a graphics card that has native support for multi monitor gaming.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 20:16 

Besides, I fully expect to see NVIDIA or ATI come out with a graphics card that has native support for multi monitor gaming.
I highly doubt it. It's a niche market and neither company has much to gain from injecting the hardware into their graphics cards...