Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 03:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 06:46 

Well figured id come in and muddy up the 5040 waters even more... Im running w7-64... Im actually running the beta drivers (195.55) but my results were the same with current drivers too.. I do alot of iRacing and find that im getting some tearing and microstutters now.... With my xp build on the same computer--- I get zero of that.. Smooth as butta... I also notice im getting some laggy movments in the bar that moves accross on the front page -- showing results from other races etc.. For sure seems like there is a timming driver issue-- or something like that.. I have read plenty of stories on the web about guys with similar lag/stutter issues... I wonder if we could modify the 182.5 driver to be able to allow aero to work on w7.. I read that when the guys put 182.5 on-- aero would quite-- but things were smooth.. Yawn-- i was soo hoping this os would come out and just work.. Crazy me..

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 10:50 
Administrators
Administrators

Usually I find tearing to be a V Sync issue. Try forcing it on in the Nvidia control panel, or if that doesn't work, force it off. Would be the first place I'd look.

I also find this sort of problem when the refresh rate put out by the game is different to the refresh rate of the monitor.

Example: X-Plane runs with stuttering and tearing when let the game run at unlimited fps. When I limit it to the refresh rate of the monitor(60Hz, ie 60fps), it's smooth like butter.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 02:40 

Well for me-- i have tried vsync on and off.. I have taking my oc off and also down.. All drivers are up to date though tried some of the older ones too...

For me my problem is caused after waking my computer from sleep.. Its repeatable and gives the same results 100% of the time....

If i reboot my system -- everything runs fine.. If i put my system to sleep then wake it..--- go in and run some laps---- i get stutters ever 1-5 seconds.. They are small stutters---- seems like it misses a frame--- but a stutter none the less

One thing i noticed was--- before i put the system to sleep-- it was using 1250mb of memory-- and everything ran great... After i put it to sleep---- i would wake the computer and only 820mb of memory was being used... This is the point when i would get a stutter.. Im wondering if something isnt being turned back on after a sleep -- causing the stutters..

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 02:51 
Administrators
Administrators

It would definitely point to it being the issue. I have never used sleep mode so probably why I haven't seen it.

Could take a screenshot of the processes running in task manager prior to sleeping and then after waking to narrow it down?

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 03:25 

Well after how many days of jacking around--- i found the cause of the stutter.... The evga precision software :doh ... It had to do with the polling and graphing.. Once i shut down the program-- no stutter.. Now im using rivatuner and all is good.. joy

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 09:45 
Administrators
Administrators

Great news, enjoy it!

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 05:45 

Nub question: Does RivaTuner work on Windows 7 x64?

I stopped using Rivatuner because it stopped working on Vista x64 when they released a Windows Update that "fixed" the users ability to disable driver signature checking? Prior to the update I ran the command
Code:
bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
to disable driver signing in order to install Rivatuner but after the update this would never work so i had to switch to Evga Precision :(

At the time there was a signed version of Rivatuner 2.03 on techpowerup but I needed 2.24 for my drivers/cards... I would LOVE to have Rivatuner back on my rig since I have used it for many years prior to this fkn update!