Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 09:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nvidia and triplehead2go
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 21:46 

Continued...

So I decided to purchase a triplehead2go setup to go with my sli'd 275's (which were also very expensive). Previously (182.50) people could run full resolution on 1650x1040 displays via that driver version with Matrox's software. Now all of a sudden we cannot. Anyone else notice this happens right around the time Nvidia's competition releases a product that does pretty much what triplehead2go does? Raise your hand if you think Nvidia has something up thier sleeve to compete?

Given Nvidia's recent track record, I propose Nvidia will have a (proprietary) solution for running games and apps accross multiple monitors at high resolutions really soon. But only on the latest Nvidia hardware.... because, you know, it can't be done anywhere else.

Sorry if I seem perterbed, but this is my experience lately with Nvidia. I don't think they are prepared to do anything except push thier own agenda. As a company you have to expect them to do this to a degree, but placing (artificial) limits on hardware performance via driver (as this is how I see it) in preparation for your next product launch seems a little unscrupulous to me.

But this is only how I am reading the big picture. I reserve the right to be wrong here.

This would be fairly stupid of NVIDIA, in my opinion. People who bought the TH2G are very likely the same people who would be buying NVIDIA's next-gen solution when they upgrade... but if NVIDIA treats them badly, they may look for alternate solutions out of spite.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 22:18 

I'd love to believe I'm just spouting conspiracy theories and such, but I just can't put it past them. After all, aggressive anti competative moves have been proven to work very well in the field of computers and hardware. I even tried reinstalling xp pro, but ran into so many issues with bluescreens I gave up. I began a complete wipe and reinstall of win7 x64 last night. I'll even try changing the dvi port used on the vid card in addition to all the regular driver stuff and custom resoultion stuff many of you have provided (thank you!).

Nvidia themselves have been very quiet on thier own boards. I never see staff or developers post there about anything.

For furthur circumstantial evidence I point to a recent interview/arguement I was reading on the launch of the 58xx line from ATI where they and Nvidia got to make general comments about the industry. When it came to the subject of physics enabled cards, ATI suggested they work together to develop an industry standard, so that like directx, physics acceleration might be implemented on a more widespread install base.

Guess how Nvidia responded? That's the kind of crap I get tired of. Remember how well 3dfx did with Glide.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 11:35 

if you want XP go the XP64 route, it has a win2k3 professional kernel...
however now that seven64 is out, it's probably the best choice if one has to choose between the two

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 12:05 
Insiders
Insiders

This would be fairly stupid of NVIDIA, in my opinion. People who bought the TH2G are very likely the same people who would be buying NVIDIA's next-gen solution when they upgrade... but if NVIDIA treats them badly, they may look for alternate solutions out of spite.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but nVidia does have a track record of doing stupid things in the past in relation to profit motive and their IP.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 15:52 

[quote]This would be fairly stupid of NVIDIA, in my opinion. People who bought the TH2G are very likely the same people who would be buying NVIDIA's next-gen solution when they upgrade... but if NVIDIA treats them badly, they may look for alternate solutions out of spite.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but nVidia does have a track record of doing stupid things in the past in relation to profit motive and their IP.

Exactly my point! While competition helps to drive markets and innovation from sheer competition, particularly when the opponents are technology leaders, usually the public wins. However, I find it suspect that what once worked now does not. Funny that.

I was going to try the xp route because it's my understanding that there are no issues with th2go and xp. I just simply have not had any success getting proper native res from my monitors under 7x64 (yet!). After reading in another thread about Matrox stating that one of the issues they have encountered is the Nvidia api, and that they are trying to get cooperation from said company to ensure compatability, all I could think was "#@%!". Here we go again.

So either a) Nvidia can't remember how to implement high resoulution graphics accross muliple devices
b) They have different teams supporting different os's and they don't talk to each other at all OR
c) It's done on purpose.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 18:38 
Insiders
Insiders

So either a) Nvidia can't remember how to implement high resoulution graphics accross muliple devices
b) They have different teams supporting different os's and they don't talk to each other at all OR
c) It's done on purpose.

Option D, you're not a quantifiable part of thier market-share, so your needs are secondary. :wink:

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 20:24 

Touche! :D