Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 11:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 06:46 

I'm wondering the easiest and cheapest way to share a Digital TH2GO between 2 different computers.

I would probably NOT be using these at the same time, since I think that might involve expensive KVMs.

I just want to avoid having to unplug/replug the TH2GO everytime I swap machines.

Would a 'DVI-D Dual Link Y Splitter Cable' serve this purpose, as long as only one machine is on at a time?

Thanks

PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 19:23 

I don't know how they would work in reverse like you intend. But I have used startech 1dvi to 2 dvi out splitters with little success. Most likely due to dvi/hdmi being bidirectionnal and requiring talking to the end display. Probably better and/or cheaper to get some extensions and simply plug whichever of the two you're using.

PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 19:51 

You can buy DVI switches, but they can be a little pricey. HDMI switches, on the other hand, are now quite cheap. If you look around, you can 3:1 or 4:1 HDMI switches for $20-30.

So, I would run your 2 machines into 2 inputs of an HDMI switch, then take the HDMI out and hook up a HDMI->DVI cable (or plug adapter) to go into the single DVI input of the TH2Go.

If all you have right now is DVI outputs and cables, you might need as many as 3 HDMI->DVI cables, but those are cheap, especially on eBay.

PostPosted: 31 May 2009, 02:31 

I use the cable extension + switch method even with both a dvi and hdmi switch at my disposal. Reason for that is the switches are typically far from reliable and they aren't the 'cheap 40$' kind either.