Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 10:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 18:08 

Title is what I'm wondering.

I have read plenty about how to maybe be able to force one to run at 57Hz, but I haven't tried. I'm too new to this to go messing with it, just yet.

Anyway, I was wondering why one wouldn't run at it, when it will do 60Hz?
Anyone know the reason?

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2009, 23:24 

Does no one really know why some will run just fine and others fail?
I'm really just curious. There's a reason, of course. It just seems odd that some will work fine and some won't.

If no knows, I won't bump again.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2009, 00:07 
Insiders
Insiders

5040x1050 was added after the TH2G Digital was design, produced and went to market. It's sort of a free upgrade hack that occurred. 5040x1050 was never meant to be used on the TH2G Digital, but was added in awhile after it was on the market. Not being able to do 60hz is a limitation of the hardware. We're lucky it works at all. :wink:

Now as far as displays being able to lock 57hz or not, that's yet another different matter. Many displays were never designed with the idea in mind that they would be locking onto a 57hz signal because 60hz has been a pretty standard minimum hz setting because of eye strain. Manufacturers that didn't see the need to do anything under 60hz is why there is an issue.

Then there is the nVidia display driver issue with custom resolution locking. Most of the recent nVidia drivers have been buggy in terms of how they handle the custom resolution setting window. A lot of the recent betas and releases simply can't lock many resolutions that they should. 182.50 is the most stable with TH2G use.

So, there are at least 3 reasons why things are the way they are at the moment.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2009, 03:13 

Thank you.
That's actually very helpful.
My monitor is suppose to do 50Hz. Well I know it will. I'm unable to select 50Hz with TH2Go though. It only offers me 57.
But maybe, now knowing that a custom res might work with 182.50, I might give it try.

I need to learn more about this though. I haven't ever made a custom res or really messed with anything to with with monitor setup, etc. I have always simple chose a res of the aspect my monitors were and the highest Hz for that res. And always just single screen, until now.

It's working well at 3x1440x900@60Hz, but if I can tweak it into working at 3x1680x1050@50Hz, 55Hz or whatever I may try it. It may be that I just haven't tried enough things. I have only tried in the Matrox software and it failed at 3x1680x1050@57Hz.

So thanks and please forgive the noob, lol.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2009, 20:57 

You're not going to be able to get the TripleHead2Go to send a signal at 50 Hz or 55 Hz. The TripleHead2Go has a clear list of modes (resolutions and refresh rates) with which it will work. Anything else is not an option.

In order to use 50 Hz or 55 Hz with the TripleHead2Go, Matrox would have to release a software and/or fimrware update to make this happen.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009, 16:23 

Thanks.
3x1440x900@60Hz it is then.