Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 05:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 20:41 

Hi All,

I've just bought a triplehead2togo and I'm having trouble getting it working.

The set up I'm using is as below

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 RTM
Triple Head 2 go Digital
Latest Matrox Drivers Powerdesk etc (Vista 64 versions as no Win 7 available)
ATI 4870X2
Catalys 9.7 (have tried 9.8 as well)
2 * Dell 2407 A03's (Default resolution 1920 * 1200)
1 * Samsung 191T (Default resolution 1280 * 1024) (Temporary, to be replace next week with another Dell 2407)
Other components in the sig

OK, so the problem I'm having is that I can't get a fully functioning triple head.
The results I've had so far are
1) Can get a triple screen set up working across all monitors at 640*480 (no other resolution can be used without screen corruption)
2) Monitor one with what seems to be a stretched screen displayed on it compressed so hardly visible and offset by 50%, No display on other two screens when using other resolutions
3) Both Dell monitors reporting errors asking for default 1920 * 1200 60hz feed with when using resolution higher than 640 *480

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the Matrox software a number of times. When I try to install the game control software it reports that there is no TripleHead present.
TripleHead is powered through Powered USB slot and has a green light.
On checking processes running in Task Manager there are about 5 Matrox processes there.
On Entering Powerdesk and trying to change the resolution error reported that it can't change the resolution.
Within Display properties there instead of a 4870X2 it shows the graphics driver as being a Triple Head, but on trying to set up any triple screen resolution it goes into problem like (3) described above.

I can use the number one monitor (Dell 2407) at 1920 * 1200 resolution on it's own through the triplehead.

So that's an overview of the problems. If anyone can help me resolve this I'd be very grateful as I really want to start playing games across the 3 screens.

Thanks for any help

Taff

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 23:43 

Solved the problem. Thought I'd update the post with answer just in case anyone else comes across this in future.

When I initially installed the TripleHead unit, I left my current DVI cable in connected to the GFX card and connected the other end to the input of the Triplehead.

I then used the DVI cable that came with the triple head to connect from Output 1 of the triplehead to the first monitor.

Turns out that not all DVI cables are equal. There is a difference between my standard monitor DVI cables and the Triple Head DVI cable in terms of what it can transmit.

On swapping the cables over and using the DVI cable that came with the triple head to connect from the GFX card to the input of the triplehead and then my monitor cable from output1 to the first monitor everything works fine.

Spent ages over this weekend trying to sort this out and came across the fix by accident.

Now running at 5040 * 1050, lovely.

Taff

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 09:40 

So if I understand correctly, you tried to use a single-link dvi cable you had instead of the dual-link dvi cable matrox specifically provides since otherwise the problem you encountered shows up?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 22:25 

Thats seems to sum it up.

Didn't use the supplied cable initially as it is short and didn't reach to the part of the desk I wanted to place the triple head on, so used the long one I had in the back of the PC. The used the short one to get to the monitor.

Wasn't aware of the difference in DVI cables.

Ah well, you live and learn.

At least it's all up and running now. Loving playing iRacing, DCS Black shark and FSX in 5040 * 1050 now.

Taff