Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 09:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 15:37 

First: Great initiative with the component list thread, 1078f3ba. Good thinking.

(The component thread is here: [url]http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/11501])

I know it is still early to come to any conclusions, but I notice that everybody having problems so far are Core i7 users with X58 mobos, me included. Might it have something to do with the X58 chipset?

Please, if you've tried to get 5040x1050 working and read this: Fill out your components in that thread, whether you succeeded or not.

/Jan S.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 15:52 
Editors
Editors

Don't you think brand new hardware appears on top because people with brand new hardware are more pissed by any issue than anyone else, and thus more prone to chime in ? I for one experienced the issue on a Core2 and 780i chipset, what do you make of that ? :?

I'm not so sure about the 'greatness' of this, really. I can understand that frustrated users want a bone to chew, but I suspect it will only add to the confusion. There's too many variables to draw a pattern - the most important thing would be "what did you try to get it working, in which order and to what extent"...
Please people keep in mind that a lot of users have been having problems for months, we have no universal solution yet and starting loads of new threads doesn't help in the least.

Just my opinion though, I won't interfere in that other thread.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 17:12 

I for one experienced the issue on a Core2 and 780i chipset, what do you make of that ?

Well, if you had reported that in said thread, I would not have made any conclusions at all, yet. I just posed a question, no need to get upset. But the facts remain that:

1) It works for some and not for others
2) The above is true regardless of the instructions/steps followed
3) Matrox do not seem to be able/willing to identify the source of the problems at the moment

I fail to see how making a list like this could possibly add to any confusion. Since the confusion is pretty severe as it is, any systematic approach is for the better, as I see it.

The worst that could happen is that we deduce from the list that there is no discernible correlation at all between hardware/software and success. And I would say that is an important piece of information in and of itself. And since you invalidated my i7 question through your own experience, you kind of proved the effectiveness of the approach.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 17:45 
Editors
Editors

Carry on then. Glad I could help !

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 00:40 

if i7 and X58 is the cause you would know pretty fast because I'm suppose to receive those next week but i'm using the current video card and TH2G, and I know it's working presently

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 02:23 

Scav, apologies if I do indeed end up adding to the confusion. It is not my intent. And I agree with your point on the myriad variables. As a former F/A-18 Hornet maintainer, I understand the variables all too well, heh. :wink:

Currently I dual boot XP 32 and 7 64. I was dual booting XP and Vista 64. I have it working in XP no problem, and with the beta Powerdesk and 182.50, I had it working in Vista. I only use XP for work though, and since my work is very sensitive, I won't take a chance messing around with it. I use Vista to game, and recently I tried to play the L4D2 demo & was greeted with a pop-up stating that my graphx drivers were too old to handle the game. That and the Matrox W7 drivers are what prompted me to migrate to W7. It was a clean install, multiple times, different driver combo's, not an upgrade. Spent a total of 3 hours over two days on the phone with Matrox support, even let them take control over my computer to help troubleshoot. Final advice: keep trying older drivers until you find one that works.

I'm sorry , and I am no computer noob, but for $300 bones, not to mention the significant investment in the monitors, that advice is sadly lacking.

I sure wish I knew what the "WHQL" meant when it came to this situation. Given what we all know about how loathe companies are to upgrade computers when there is still functionality to be had in what they currently have on hand, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that Matrox have never tested any of their drivers on an i7 box. I mean, why would they make it a special point to do so? If the rig runs Windows, it should be OK with the drivers.

Bear in mind that I am in no way stating that I think this is the root of the issue. Obviously I have it running on a Core i7 box (as stated above).

Anyway, again, my apologies if I end up clouding things anymore than they already are. :oops: If nothing else, people having problems running very similar rigs may spot someone with success and be able to PM them to get help.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 20:47 

oh well I get bite by i7/X58 too; I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

For the 5040x1050 Resolution: (I use W7 x64 ultimate)

Just get mine, since I know a guys over at iRacing that have the same combo and make it work with Matrox 2.05.020 and nVidia 191.03 but he has W7 x32 RTM.

I did not work for me, nVidia 191.03 does not work with Matrox 2.04 Beta, 2.05.020 or 2.06

nVidia 195.38 does not work with Matrox 2.04 Beta, 2.05.020 or 2.06; where as it work with my others system but without the i7/X58 combo

Then it's the nVidia 182.50 with Matrox 2.06 or Matrox 2.05.020, no working either, but the matrox 2.04 Beta work with nVidia 182.50, that the only one.

It's a kind of hit and miss between people, I have almost the same hardware as one of the guys over at iRacing, but at the end it's not the same drivers that work.

Ohh well, not touching anymore till next year when I get a ATI 5870 x2, and then bye bye Matrox

:)

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 21:23 
Editors
Editors

No apologies needed as far as I'm concerned. ;)
It's not a bad initiative at all, I just doubt it will produce any usable new knowledge. May I be proved wrong and see everyone's problems fixed thanks to this !

From what I've gathered, part of this tricky issue probably lies in the fact that
Vista and 7 require HDTV resolution support from the display driver, regardless of your actual display. Forced 16:9 modes might cause problems in GXM's detection of available modes and pruning of others, thus explaining the "test failed" and "a Windows error occured" oddities. Maybe I'm all wrong though, I'm just a gamer. What I'd love to know is why there is no easy way to tell my devices "shut up and do whatever I tell you to". :?