Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 02:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 21:31 

Hey !

Before I start I must say that we think we have a conclusive solution for all "5040 wanna have users" ! (4 real)

Now I would like to give a rundown of our little adventure with the TH2G+GTX280 and 5870 eyefinity and 5870+TH2G...

TH2G+5870:
- no go, "windows error has occurred"
- maybe we will check how to fix it with adding custom res to the driver

5870 Eyefinity: (and yes, we know you need an active adapter)
We tried a few passive adapters DP>>DVI
- First we tried this nvidia adapter (lol):

Result:
- The monitor attached to this adapter was working np, we could not get all three monitors to work @ the same time, NO EYEFINITY.

-Next we tried another adapter (but different one), same result

-now we got an adapter from DP to VGA (d-sub15)

We could get all the monitors to work together but still no eyefinity...

we give up for now - we need an active adapter...

now for the real stuff !

GTX 280+i7+TH2G+3xSamsung 2243BW
when we tried installing all straight forward we got the beautiful "windows error has occurred"...
We tried all kinds of drivers and os, bottom line was Vistax64+182.50 = 5040 np.
But we want Win7x64+195.62...

Now the MAGIC.... :)

to make a long story short:
Copy all the settings in the image for 5040 -BUT- YOU MUST PLAY AROUND WITH VERTICAL REFRESH RATE !

of course you must have your TH2G firmware updated to 2.3.40 and video table 6.56.

We would love to answer any Q.

We feel quite sure that this is the magic potion.
When we tried other refresh rate like 59.545,59.000 and other we got failure from the driver, but when we got the right number - BOOM 5040 is ours !

Have fun and ask if you need.

sticky ?
:cheers
:rockout

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 22:09 

Tried, exact settings. It flipped display and changed to what looked like 5040x1050, but then said display not suppored and reverted back to 1680x1050. Then I received a Runtime error for c:WindowsExplorer.exe R6025 - Pure virtual function call. Then Windows Explorer stopped working, I then restarted explorer.

I then tried a different refresh rate of 59.000, this messed up the display/caused a black screen until it reverted back and said test failed. It then tried 59.400 and this one was accepted right off the block.

However, if I change back to 1680x1050 and check the edit settings for the resolution then it clearly says 59.000.

However, after a reboot Powerdesk said it detected changes, I clicked no and restarted again. It has now deleted the custom resolution and I'm back at only having 3840x1024 available.

This is a clean install, as clean as it comes.
1) Install W7 x64 Pro
2) Copy files from USB to desktop, Nvidia 195.81 beta and Matrox Powerdesk 2.6
3) Install Nvidia driver and restart.
4) Install matrox powerdesk, it prompts for reboot as it detects changes.
5) Run through wizard, setup automatic mode.
6) It wants to reboot after going through the checklist
7) It boots up, wants to finish wizard and goes through the remaining steps and swaps display to 1680x1050, however the screen went black so I had to shutdown PC and reboot. It booted up at 1680x1050 however.
8) Setup a custom resolution through the Nvidia control panel as specified in OP, tho with different refresh rate value.

I'm trying different refresh rate values now. 59.545 as per another poster here on the forums. Powerdesk detects changes and wants to reboot again, it booted back up at 3840x1024. Gonna try different values, see if I can get one to "stick".

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 23:57 

I uninstalled the PowerDesk software via the Control Panel and rebooted.
My custom 5040x1050 came back, and it's working on subsequent reboots.

:nudgenudge

I dunno. Guess I can live without the maximize/centered dialog options which is really all the PowerDesk provides.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 06:44 

I should receive mine ( digital edition ) today so will try your methods. If you have any success then pse let me know. Thanks.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 06:49 

I uninstalled the PowerDesk software via the Control Panel and rebooted.
My custom 5040x1050 came back, and it's working on subsequent reboots.

:nudgenudge

I dunno. Guess I can live without the maximize/centered dialog options which is really all the PowerDesk provides.

One happy customer ? :)

There is an INI fix for this, when we will get to the bottom of it we will post the fix here (today?)
:cheers

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 13:00 

If you have a fix for PowerDesk removing custom resolutions after reboot, that'd be great, and potentially solve most or all the issues so far.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 07:06 

Yes, Yes, YES>>>>YESSSSSSSS.....Oh yeah!! Oh yeah! That's right!! I got it working....I got it working!!

This is it!!!! This is the magic that we have all been looking for!!!

Thankyou!
Thankyou!
Thankyou!!

I actually tried your refresh rate of 59.5 that you have on the screen. BANG!!! BINGO......It worked for me.
Nothing else in the past has worked for me except......you guessed it 182.50.

Now to try out all the games.

Thankyou!! PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY!!!!!!!!

STICKY???

STICKY NOW PLEASE.

Yes!! My games all work with 5040x1050
Yes!! My desktop is working in 5040x1050 WITH AERO WORKING.....FINALLY
Yes!! Matrox Power Desk works with all function working.
Yes!! This needs a bigger sticky than all the other stickys.

Thankyou!!
Thankyou!!
Thankyou!!

My current setup. Nvidia 195.62 drivers with Nvidia 8800GTX in SLI.
Q6600 overclocked.
EVGA 780i motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate
Latest Matrox firmware and powerdesk

I really do not think any of this hardware needs to be posted since I believe this is the fix, but I am putting it here
in case someone wants to know. Best of Luck!!

EDIT EDIT..............Everything is still working.

After a couple reboots, Powerdesk removed my custom resolution.
I just followed this from another post to fix.

Stopping Powerdesk SE (Matrox GXM utility) from removing modes on every boot

Goto to your Powerdesk SE install folder, default (on x64) is C:Program Files (x86)Matrox Graphics IncPowerDesk SE. Open up file DeviceInfo.ini and find the entries "Name=CUST_MODE" and "Name=CustomDisplay". Rename these to something else, something more than just adding "bak" the end however as there are sometimes registry entries named that too.
In the picture below I added "bak3" to the end.

Close and reboot, GXM will give you a warning about reverting or keeping current display setup, select keep. Reboot. It will come up again and may ask for another reboot, do it as required.

It should no longer overwrite your custom resolution as its no longer overwriting your "CUST_MODE" and "CustomDisplay" settings. GXM utility otherwise continues to work as normal, no need to uninstall or move to other folders and no more error messages.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 06:32 

Sorry guys, is this a question? I'm not understanding what's going on here.

Are you saying 5040 and Win7 never worked for you until now? I might have understood this wrong.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 07:49 

Yes sir!!
Your perceptions are absolutely correct. 5040x1050 did not work for us in the past except with Nvidia 182.50 drivers.
Countless hours of trial and error, reading other people's post of success and failures only to find that you too have stumbled and
fallen victim to the all night mountain dew search for the holy grail cup of endless restarts and black screens that have plagued this
forum. Research late into the night wishing you had bought the other guy's computer gear so you too could press on with just a
simple Batman Arkham Asylum game fighting Poison Ivy in all of her glory. Victory comes to those who have crawled through the trenches of
switching to the beta powerdesk and old drivers only to find that your reprogramming of the brand new 22" monitors you just shelled out
$800.00 for make you feel like you flushed your money to the "I got to have this triple screen stuff now" gods after your wife who almost left
you over it told you not to since the children need food for tomorrow nights dinner. You felt the anguish of almost making it to the top of the
mountain only to find it was a volcano which was now erupting. Yes JohnnyG, you are but a bystander in this quest but there is help for you!!
Yes JohnnyG, you have come to the forum of enlightenment where you too can find your true self and live side by side amongst those who shed
their sweat and tears in this forum to attain the pinnacle of achievement, the 5040x1050. Yes JohnnyG we can help you, but first you must
delete your old drivers, restore your resolution and be at peace with your Aero in full resolution. May the spirit of Matrox be with you.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 11:05 

Yes sir!!
Your perceptions are absolutely correct. 5040x1050 did not work for us in the past except with Nvidia 182.50 drivers.
Countless hours of trial and error, reading other people's post of success and failures only to find that you too have stumbled and
fallen victim to the all night mountain dew search for the holy grail cup of endless restarts and black screens that have plagued this
forum. Research late into the night wishing you had bought the other guy's computer gear so you too could press on with just a
simple Batman Arkham Asylum game fighting Poison Ivy in all of her glory. Victory comes to those who have crawled through the trenches of
switching to the beta powerdesk and old drivers only to find that your reprogramming of the brand new 22" monitors you just shelled out
$800.00 for make you feel like you flushed your money to the "I got to have this triple screen stuff now" gods after your wife who almost left
you over it told you not to since the children need food for tomorrow nights dinner. You felt the anguish of almost making it to the top of the
mountain only to find it was a volcano which was now erupting. Yes JohnnyG, you are but a bystander in this quest but there is help for you!!
Yes JohnnyG, you have come to the forum of enlightenment where you too can find your true self and live side by side amongst those who shed
their sweat and tears in this forum to attain the pinnacle of achievement, the 5040x1050. Yes JohnnyG we can help you, but first you must
delete your old drivers, restore your resolution and be at peace with your Aero in full resolution. May the spirit of Matrox be with you.

lol, Thank you kevintrisha, now I understand. Elior77, not that your post is wrong, it's just that I'm slow sometimes.
My wifes exact words, "You paid how much for that little black box"!?!?

On another note. I'm running TH2G with Win7 64-bit, GTX280 and 191.7 driver with no problems for a few months now. Theirs also a newer driver (195.62) out now but haven't tried it. I'm sorry I didn't find this forum sooner since I didn't know their was a problem guys. :doh I hope this helps a bit or adds better information to some of the problems we might be having.

Edit: read a few more post. Seems like it's a hit or miss with TH2G. Glad you found a solution Elior77. :rockout