Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 06:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 02:17 

Hi all,
I've read heaps of ppl mention that it is possible to specify which monitor non OS stuff appears on but nobody ever says HOW!!! I've tried searching to no avail and a lot of experimenting however I keep getting everything on the left and center screens until it hits windows (or X). The reason I want it on one screen is BIOS (overclocking), GRUB and linux console.
Thanks,
Shiney

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 08:30 
Administrators
Administrators

Via the Matrox Power Desk software edit the mode list so one of the modes as a single screen resolution.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 09:50 

One of my modes was already a single screen resolution. I had 1 screen 1680x1050, 2 screen 1680x1050 and 3 screen 1680x1050 listed. I tried removing them all and re-adding, restarted windows and found no change... pre-OS stuff always shows on left and center screens for me.

Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 14:49 
Administrators
Administrators

I don't know then, I had the same thing as you until I added 1 screen 1680x1050 to the mode list, then it stopped trying to display the bios at TH resolutions and started up with 1 screen. Try temporally removing both the other resolutions so 1 screen 1680x1050 is the only resolution in the list and see, it shouldn't effect windows as windows gets its resolutions list mostly from the device drives rather then directly off the device.

Edit: If that works but it displays on the left screen but you want it on the centre screen then you'll need to change the order you connect your monitors into the TH2G box so that the centre monitor connects to port 1. Then use the software to cycle the order of the displays until it displays right in windows again.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 02:53 

I've been through a few different variations of this problem. With Post/Boot screens on the left or center or right monitor only, left and right monitors, center and right monitors, and stretched across all three.

The only way that I managed to fix this was the following:

1. Change the windows resolution to the single center monitor resolution
2. Reboot
3. Flash a bios upgrade to the triplehead box (while in single center mode)
4. Reboot

Hopefully after doing this your Post screen will be in the center monitor only. This has currently been holding since my last bios upgrade including through two rebuilds/new OS installs of the computer. I'm not sure if this will work for you but there isn't much harm in trying it!!!

It's possible that at some stage while flashing the triplehead bios, a default "startup" resolution setting is changed to the last good resolution, and that is what is displayed during Post/Boot.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 10:21 

Thanks Skid & NZCoyote,

I hadn't actually tried removing all modes except 1x1680x1050. This works!!! BUT I can't select 2x1680x1050(3360x1050) anymore since it is not in the list :( I can still select 5040x1050 since it is a custom resolution in the nVIDIA drivers. As soon as I add 3360 to the mode list everything pre OS goes back to 3360 ><

I actually already tried reflashing the firmware upgrade while in single screen mode. This made no difference...

I use 3360 for my desktop since the taskbar is too wide with 5040 and coz I have one monitor I want to use less cos its older ;) I tried adding 3360 as a custom resolution to nVIDIA by copying the settings (front porch, sync width, etc.) from the powerdesk modes screen but this didn't work, all screens turned off during test. I tried using 48, 32 and 16 as the front porch and I tried using 32 and 16 for the sync width because this looks to be what they did for 5040 but none of these worked and one crashed my nVIDIA drivers beyond recovery (had to reinstall drivers).

I guess my new question is, does anyone know how to enter 3360x1050 as a custom resolution in NVCP? Also, do any of you guys have 3360 in your mode list?

Shiney

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 12:19 
Administrators
Administrators

Hmm, I'm not sure the right settings you'll need to enter to manually add 3360x1050, the only custom one i have is the 5040x1050, I don't use any other resolutions, my Mode list has 4 in it but most of them are there so I can do TH screen shots for this site.