Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 Jul 2024, 01:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Damnation !!!
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2010, 19:48 

Well, the unthinkable just happened : one of my three screens just died on me after two years of fun.

Of course, it now seems impossible to find the same model in Canada to replace the deceased component. Samsung 931C.

If I replace it (assuming I cannot have it repaired/replaced by Samsung Canada), do you think I will be OK with another 19" Samsung LCD of the same resolution, 1280X1024 ? I am looking at a 943BM right now.

Sniff, I was feeling so smug, having 19 inches and not having to deal with the problems 1680x1050 users are having. Some Higher Power must have felt that smugness and decided to crush it. :(

FT

Post subject: Re: Damnation !!!
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2010, 21:26 
Insiders
Insiders

I personally would sell the other monitors and buy a new 3, as the repaired / newly bought monitor wont match the existing and would piss me off. I had 3 19"rs (1440x900) and each one was different. 1 had a Blue Backlight, 1 had a purple backlight, and the other had it's panel replaced. I didn't like it at all so I sold my 3 19"rs + 1 other 19"r and upgraded this winter to 3 1080p dells that match perfectly. Lovely.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 23:09 

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind after talking with the Samsung Canada rep over the phone. First of all servicing the screen will take at least 2 to 3 weeks, plus the rep could not tell me what Samsung would do if they could not repair my screen :

"Do not worry sir, we will send you a newer model if need be."

"Yes, errr, thanks, but it would have to be the exact same size and resolution."

"But sir, why?"

(true story as of yesterday)

Moreover, right now seems like a very bad time to buy new screens. It is just about impossible to buy a 4:3 LCD, so it would have to be widescreens, with the various problems described in these forums. Plus new technologies are right around the corner which would make me try and future-proof those new screens, which might not be the best screens to work with my TH2Go right now.

Darn, I just don't know what to do. I will have to send them my screen and see what happens, I suppose. :-(

FT

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 03:10 
Insiders
Insiders

The triplehead2go now works at 3x1680x1050@60Hz. You shall be able to use any screens you desire as long as they have DVI or VGA.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 07:22 

Thanks suiken.

After my previous post I did more reading on this forum and realized the situation had changed for the best. Also, I can now say for certain that I won't be able to do flight sims with just one screen (and a 5:4 at that...) for several weeks to come (if I were to wait for Samsung Canada to repair/replace the deceased screen), I am already going bonkers after just a few days.

So it's probably off to Best Buy tomorrow, they have a special on the Samsung 2233BW.

Now I just have to figure out some excuse to tell family members and significant others, who won't be as enthusiastic as you about those screens............

FT

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 07:51 
Insiders
Insiders

Now I just have to figure out some excuse to tell family members and significant others, who won't be as enthusiastic as you about those screens............

I fail to see that you need to make up any excuise. A LCD died, you found that there would be significant downtime waiting on them. Plus, if it was outside of warrenty, it probably would have cost you just as much as a new larger display to get fixed. Compound the issue that they no longer make that model so you can't match a replacement panel. Seems like a logical time to upgrade LCDs to me. :wink:

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 19:52 

lol BHawthorne, for me any time is always a good time to upgrade parts of my computer anyway. It's not like I need a lot of incentive normally. :-)

I did get a very strong reaction from my best friend, though: when I told him I would not be flying for weeks because of the dead screen, he launched into a heated tirade about how I should stop whining and just play on a single screen, "like the rest of us". Boy, he sounded really pi...ed over the phone.