Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 09:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 02:46 
Founder
Founder

We are all anticipating the greatest PC game release Star Craft 2 on July 27,
and we were wondering if it will feature support in surround to span on tri -moniters

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 03:10 
Editors
Editors

Last I checked the answer is unknown.

However, I would be very, very surprised if Blizzard implemented Hor+ for multi-monitors.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 03:20 
Founder
Founder

This, of course, being the only PC exclusive high profile game since Crysis,
the 5760 x 1080 support is a must have, even console ports have it,
Blizzard must realize PC gamers are their audience.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 03:25 

Except blizzard spent 4 years making an engine that looks like it was from 2007 so that it would "run on everything"? So graphical prowess is definitely not high on their list of priorities.

I would wager that surround is NEVER going to happen because ppl QQ about it being an advantage in a game that was designed from the ground up to be an e-sport.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 04:35 
Editors
Editors

This, of course, being the only PC exclusive high profile game since Crysis,
the 5760 x 1080 support is a must have, even console ports have it,
Blizzard must realize PC gamers are their audience.

While I applaud the idea of surround gaming as a must-have, I think it will be a long time before that becomes a predominant attitude amongst devs/pubs.

I would wager that surround is NEVER going to happen because ppl QQ about it being an advantage in a game that was designed from the ground up to be an e-sport.

QFT.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 21:30 

SC2 will likely not officially support triple wide. SC2 is a very competitive game and Blizzard took a staunch stance against things like 3 monitors for a 'competitive edge' (I wouldn't really play on 3 monitors since to me it's a detriment). Personally I wouldn't play SC2 in triple wide anyway. I've already tried triple wide in other RTS games (age of empires 3 for example), and it's just awkward. While it's nice to mess around with it, I would play 99% of the time on a single monitor anyway since it just works better for RTS games like SC2.

Anyway, the beta didn't work directly with triple wide... but I think there was a thread elsewhere on this forum where someone managed to get a 'working' workaround for triple wide but it was rather tedious or something. I didn't really look into it because I wasn't really interested in playing SC2 with 3 monitors.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 04:00 

3x1 landscape would obviously be detrimental if you want to play very well since your minimap would be so far out. But 3x1 portrait with adjusted camera height would give you a massive view of the map.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 04:06 

3x1 landscape would obviously be detrimental if you want to play very well since your minimap would be so far out. But 3x1 portrait with adjusted camera height would give you a massive view of the map.

The camera doesn't zoom out very far. This isn't supreme commander.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 04:23 

[quote]3x1 landscape would obviously be detrimental if you want to play very well since your minimap would be so far out. But 3x1 portrait with adjusted camera height would give you a massive view of the map.

The camera doesn't zoom out very far. This isn't supreme commander.

Thats what i mean, if someone can work around that and get a huge FoV, it would be really nice.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 05:04 

Yeah I agree with you on the triple wide being a detriment as far skirmishes are concerned. But the single player might be fun to have triple wide resolutions. I played DOW2 sp in triple wide and it was ok, it probably would have been better with just 1 monitor though.