Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 10:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2011, 03:42 

I'm wanting to do a triple monitor setup for my new PC I just built. I'm curious for those that have used both LED-backlit monitors and standard LCD monitors for gaming is it worth sacrificing the 2" in monitor size to get an LED-Backlight monitor. Looks like it has better contrast than the LCD. Both are 5ms response times. Both 1080p.

21.5" Acer LED backlit $120 (no tax) or 23.6" Viewsonic LCD $130 + tax. So the price is close enough for it not to be a deal breaker either way.

I'm going to use it mostly for racing games like iRacing and maybe triples for FPS like BF3 if I get a beefy enough GPU.

Basically is LED is worth it or its not enough of a difference from regular LCD to make up for the smaller size.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2011, 15:52 

I went from a Samsung 24 LCD to a ASUS 24 LED.
If money is an issue remember that you dont have to buy all three at once.
What size Monitor are you gaming with now?
As much as I love my LED and would recommend it to all, I would not recommend downgrading in size .
If you are currently gaming on a 21" ow smaller then I would say go with the LED.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2011, 16:31 

I wasn't going to buy all 3 at once. Maybe one a month. But of course I want them to be the same size. And I would like them to be the same model also.

Right now I'm using an old 19" LCD thats 1280x1024. So either one of those would be a great upgrade for me.

I've been leaning toward the 23.6" but wasn't sure if LED gave enough advantages to sacrifice 2" of screen size.

Post subject: There is not much of an
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2011, 06:07 

There is not much of an advantage of LED over LCD.
I would say go with the LED. But keep in mind that a 21" 16:9 will not seem much bigger than your current 19".

Post subject: We have an HP w2207 22"
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2011, 18:09 

We have an HP w2207 22" 1680x1050 monitor on the living room computer my wife mainly uses. I have the older 19" monitor in my home office. To me the difference in size seems like a lot.

I'm probably going to end up going with the 23.6" unless I see a bigger sale on the LED one.