Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 17:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 08:57 

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2154293

Post subject: Mega-Texture?
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 10:36 
Insiders
Insiders

Mega-Texture? That wall's blockier than a 240p youtube video.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 10:56 
Administrators
Administrators

Mega Texture does not mean that all the textures are extremely detailed, it a term for how they render the textures. In that there is one REALLY BIG mega texture they fit over the whole areas. The reason for this is to reduce memory usage and increase performance, in other-words mega textures is designed to let the consoles run the game at 1080p60.

They have said they could increase the size of the mega textures so it renders better on the PC, and that it would require them to re-bake the textures, whether they will or not they've not said.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 10:58 
Insiders
Insiders

I hope they do a higher-def re-master of this for the PC. I'd wait to play it in that case. As this crappy low-res stuff all over the place kinda wrecks the great art-style of the area. It's like you aren't meant to see anything up close.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 11:38 
Editors
Editors

Ppl we need some screenshots for comparison, so we can update the game's detailed report, can someone please post 4:3, 16:10, 16:9 and multi-monitor screenshots of the gameplay ? Im still downloading the game, i wont be able to play till tonight.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 11:40 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm still having fun though. It's a pretty satisfying shooter in that the AI is decent and the fights have been fun. Good animations too on the enemies. Feels pretty good once you up the FOV a bit as per that link.

I'm still not liking the low-res textures all over the place, but I'm not seeing the pop-in nearly as badly as some people are reporting. Just noticeable sometimes on the edges of my view. But my SSD raid array and being able to use the GPU transcode might be helping that out. You can still notice it sometimes, but it's not terribly distracting. Not as much as seeing areas like that green blocky room :)

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 12:08 
Editors
Editors

I'll try fix the HUD when I get home in a few hours - unlocked but I can't play it!

I assume it'd bechangable [FOV] via the console however. [assuming one exist]

Not good reading about "off screen" textures popping in and out tho.

Cool ! You can easily change the FOV (from default 80) :

cvaradd g_fov 20 ... so now the fov will be 100

You can use the console* or (easiest way imo) do it through the launch options ...

+cvaradd g_fov 20

*To get the console, in the steam launch option add:

+set com_allowconsole 1

To bring up the console, press ~ in game.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 14:17 
Editors
Editors

Thanks to HaYDeN for adding screenshots and updating the Detailed Report. :onethumb

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 17:44 

@CatalystCreator: All - don't use the current Rage performance driver - package includes very old OGL files, that's why you're seeing corruption etc.

@CatalystCreator: New Rage driver with proper OGL component will be posted later today

Post subject: I finally got this game
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 23:25 

I finally got this game working in eyefinity with 60fps!

I was using Catalyst 11.8 prior to installation and only receiving 20fps in eyefinity with slow texture streaming.

For all AMD Users, make sure to use the new driver below.

Updated AMD Rage Driver

I also disabled my 2nd card in eyefinity as well as force vertical sync in CCC.

I'm using a single 5870 right now and can play a butter smooth 60fps.

kiax0001

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next