Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 05:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 21:57 
Editors
Editors

Aye, but back in the day, the resolution that most 3D cards topped out at was 640x480, with 16-bit colour. Just the framebuffer necessary to render a single 2D frame takes more than 4MB of VRAM now. ;)

I don't think it's sad - merely a sign of progress. Otherwise it's like saying it's "sad" we need more than 640K of RAM (for those too young to remember DOS and sacrificing everything short of blood to free up base memory just to get a game running... be glad you missed it!) or that its "sad" that CPUs need to be faster than 2MHz or need multiple cores. :bigsmile:

Let's not forget 3D; that card wouldn't cope with that, either - on just a single screen.

Saw someone complaining about Sapphire's new 6GB 7970 earlier (not on this forum)... saying that triple 1080p doesn't need more than 2.2GB... well, there are people out there running triple (or even quintuple) 1440p or 1600p. :)

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 10:14 
Insiders
Insiders

There is no getting past the 50hz crippled architecture though. What makes me really confused is why didn't they split a DP 1.2 or HDMI 1.4a port and then use the circuitry for three active DVI adapters in it? It would be significantly more resolution friendly. It's like we took a time machine back to 2006 and a NVIDIA card mated with a TH2G box.

The only thing I did like about the video was the mention of WSGF predominantly in it.

No offense to the op, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people call tech something it's not. This is not NVIDIA Surround, it's Galaxy MDT. When you start mixing up branding like that you totally confuse the specs and capabilities available. In this case there is a very huge architectural, driver configuration and capability difference between Galaxy MDT and NVIDIA Surround.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 21:13 

when i said "sad" i meant it as a figure of speech, not that it was literally sad lol. but nice lesson there

as for the labeling, when you run 3x monitors with nvidia its called "span mode" in the driver, i suppose that would be more accurate terminology.

i duno about you guys.. but both my dell types at work, the green g2210 and ultra 2208 (both 22 wide) seem to support 50hz.
as do my 1908s and 1907s at home. and my hp w2408 has 50hz listed as well.
are there really a ton of monitors out there that wont run it? cause all my shiz does, and thats 5 diff monitors and 2 brands. i have a samsung at home too, but ive never checked it for 50hz support.

and when gaming on high with the latest on 3x1 im not crushng way over 50fps anyway, so limiting me there with vsync wouldn't bother me either.

i still think its a cool card, but if your looking to run max everything yes, your going to be hurting for horsepower and vram. so its no competition for the big players in multi mon gaming

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 21:34 
Administrators
Administrators

Ah, I've seen this, it works by basically having a TH2Go Imbedded into the card. It splits the DL-DVI on one of the ports into up to 3 displays.

Yes, interesting! It appears to suffer the same way as the TH2G in gaming where the game doesn't recognise it as multi-monitor (DiRT3 HUD is spanned), just like the TH2G also.

I want one of these to test against the other setups. 8)