Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 14:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2012, 20:01 

I'm in the process of improving my gaming station. I have the computer (Intel [email protected], Nvidia GTX 690) and the cockpit (Obutto Revolution), but I'm struggling with the triple monitor choice. I had my eye on that LG IPS7 27" that was announced about a month ago and might ship in August, however in just the last day or two it's been revealed that the marketing images and stated specifications about a 1.2mm bezel were deceiving at best, and downright lies at worst, so now I'm a little stuck. In the end, if the edge-to-image width is about 1cm, it might still be a valid choice.

I'll probably need to stick with 1920x1080 in order to get high framerates at the highest quality settings of games, even with the GTX 690. I currently use a 30" as my gaming monitor so the idea of dropping to the vertical height that 24" monitors would provide isn't very appealing, so I'm really looking for a 26" or 27" display.

I've used IPS displays exclusively for the last 8 years, but as this setup will be used almost exclusively for gaming, do you think I would be satisfied with a TN monitor? I know viewing angles will be worse, but I should be viewing the monitors from a set positions so it seems like this could be compensated for.

The final consideration is bezel width. I have see a few triple monitor setups in person that used pretty wide bezel monitors and I did not find it very appealing. I'd even be willing to debezel if I had some confidence that doing so was an option on the monitor I chose. So I guess I'm looking for:

Size: 26-27"
Native res: 1920x1080
Tech: IPS or TN (not sure about this)
Bezel: as thin as possible
Price range: <$500 per monitor

Any advice?

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 14:51 

given your budget, why not run a cheaper IPS setup? Like the dell monitors?
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=dhs&sku=320-8277
Grab them on sale, I've seen them dip decently lower.

I will let someone else comment who is running triples, but that is my 3 cents.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 16:16 

I would LOVE to use an IPS setup (hence my attraction to the LG IPS7 line), however the monitor you linked to is only 24". I'm really looking for something a little larger. If this were for normal desktop use, then 1920x1080 (or 1200) would be too low a resolution for my tastes at 26" or 27", but for this system I'm only concerned with gaming. I have a different setup with 2x30" IPS monitors for my work. Thank you for your suggestion, though. In the end, if I'm unable to find a 26-27" display that I'm satisfied with, I may indeed find myself back in the 24" IPS market.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 18:03 

their 27" variants are much more. I will keep an eye out. It something I've wanted to go to as well (well just single...but still).