Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 21:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2007, 13:44 

Ruirod.

Nice write up, it sounds good and I hope it is true. However history tells us that "the market" has been and is still addicted to "Bloatware" and thus I feel hardware will always be sped up no matter what the need at the time.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007, 23:15 

I think you are about spot on, point well made and you obviously are very wise, looking at your choice of monitors :wink:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2007, 02:00 

I actualy have the same frame monitors that were used in product shots for Parhelia. :wink:

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 12:59 

If games and drivers are optimized to take better advantage of multi-core CPUs and multi GPUs, as well as multimedia extensions of modern CPUs, then we could play all the games of 2007 using the current hardware.

The problem right now is that most games don't take advantage of multi-threading and multimedia extensions of CPUs and the graphics drivers don't always offer the best SLI or Crossfire performance possible by the hardware.

If the software becomes better then I'm convinced we could see huge performance gains at high resolutions with the currently available hardware. If you think about it, modern home PCs have super-computer characteristics, offering up to nine processors/cores per system: take a quad-core CPU, quad-SLI graphics, add an AGEIA physix card and you could predict the weather like they do with super mainframes :-)

My prediction is that the weather will only get worst if we don't bring down the power consumption of these machines :-)

PostPosted: 09 May 2007, 19:57 

It's happening! Software is slowly being optimized to take full advantage of the current top hardware.

nVidia graphics drivers are a lot better than at their first release. When I could only get 5 frames per second in Flight Simulator X I now get 10. SLI is finally achieving 80-90% card cooperation.

On top of that, Microsoft is working on a Service Pack 1 for FSX which takes advantage of multicore!

By the end of the year I expect to have 20 fps on FSX with all settings maximized, in very dense scenery areas, with resolution 3840x1024.

Optimize, optimize, optimize!