Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 08:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Surround Gaming and IL2
PostPosted: 28 May 2007, 01:24 

First off this whole site is AMAZING with tons of information that has helped me beyond words - thanks to all...

I am working on a set up for three screens for surrond gaming with IL2. I am an avid sim pilot and just love the sense of speed the extra screens provide - I have seen this done with Microsofts Flight Sim to great success. I have run some test with an extra monitor so I know I can get this to work. I am working with a 22" widescreen ( I am looking at getting two more) chained together through my two ATI video cards, all DVI inputs. Now my test was with my 22" widescreen and a standard 19" LCD so results were mixed, but I got the game to run pretty good. I guess the meat of the question is - has anyone run three screens with IL2 and what resolution were you using. The problem I am up against is that the resolutions with two screens (best was 2048x768) still have you too close to the instruments and I am affraid that a third screen will increase this problem as the image stretches. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated before I start burning up my cash reserves...

Photo of test...

PostPosted: 28 May 2007, 09:16 
Editors
Editors

Hey Wrench ... welcome to the WSGF ... :D

Your ATi cards are going to restrict your resolution with the TH2G ... read this it is about compatibility and the resolutions ... ATi does not do so well ... (chart at the bottom) ... http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/support/th2go/compatibility.php

Also read this it is about about widescreens and the TH2G ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10112

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 13:19 

Hi Wrench,

...very nice shot: can you post a screen that we may see all three monitor?

Thank's in advance! :wink:

Bye
Phant

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 13:24 
Editors
Editors

Hello ... welcome to the WSGF ... :D

...very nice shot: can you post a screen that we may see all three monitor?
He doesn't have three.
If you read his post you will see that at the moment he only has one screen ... the two screens were just a test he did ... :wink:

Talking of reading things ... from the Profile Page ...

BTW ... from the Profile Page ...

Signature:
Use this block of text to display your system specs. There is a 512 character limit. Please no images.

Please keep the text (colored text is fine) between sizes 9 and 11 (using BB Code). Run your specs horizontally (rather than vertically), and limit to four lines at normal forum width.

Please remove the images from yours ....

Thank you ... 8)

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 15:15 

One problem I can see is that those look like widescreen monitors. You are going to want 4:3 aspect ratio monitors if you go with a triple screen setup. Otherwise the image is going to be distorted.

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 17:14 

Hmmm, I was supposed to test IL-2 in triplehead a few weeks ago. Never got around to it... oops. My apologies to whomever made the request.

I will try to take some screenshots tonight or tomorrow. I don't play the game, but I do own it and can run a quick check.

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 23:58 

I have IL2:FB and it presents a whole range of resolutions for selection, including 3x1024x768 and 3072x768, but *always* reverts to 3x800x600x32 on my system...

Not sure why I cant select higher, my hardware is certainly capable, but its still ownage++ :)

Not exctly sure what problem your seeing with the instruments? Seems fine from here...

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 11:17 

I have a similar issue with FSX, the TH2G and 3 19" Monitors work flawlessly in both sims but it does seem to push you towards the front of the cockpit restricting your view of the guages, even if fully zoomed out.

I would like to find a fix for this, it could be something as simple as being able to edit a config file to provide a more pulled back view while in virtual cockpit views but that's beyond me.

The way I see it, I guess I'm gonna have to buy a TrackIR 4 Pro now :)

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 11:28 

@Duke: Have you tried to play with zoom settings in FSX for exemple 0.4 ?

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 11:48 

I have played with the zoom from within the sim and zoomed all the way out while in the VC but I still can't seem to get back far enough. I have a few FS nuts as friends and will be asking them if I can manually edit some .cfg file to allow a greater level of zoom.