Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 07:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 22:51 

Are you having trouble with any other games besides IL2 1946?

It is possible that the problem is that your version of IL2 1946 is a Steam version. If the Steam version's config file is not being edited properly by the SGU, then the resolutions will not be set.

We will take a closer look at this.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Not sure what that means "steam version"?

I called Matrox tech support today, then I sent them an e-mail showing the information in this post, also the post address, they said they would send the information through to the gaming dept.?

Would be nice if they would respond to our findings by posting here?

As far as having trouble with other games, IL2-1946 and FSX are the only ones I have or use. I previously thought I was getting 5040x1050 in FSX because it pulled up after setting the resolution, but I think I was mistaken because using 3840x960 I have a better FOV than 5040x1050. I need to go back to FSX whan I get home and make sure. But it is definitly the case with IL2.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2008, 16:25 

The Steam version meaning the version of the game downloaded and launched via Steam. I assume that's what you meant in your original post when you said "STEAM version"?

With STEAM installed titles, the location of the game's config files and registry settings are sometimes different than the Disc version. In those cases, the SGU will have difficulties locating and modifying/"optimizing" these files for triplehead.

We are going to re-create your setup in-house to test.

I'll keep you posted. :cheers

*edit, I just noticed it was Ereth who mentioned STEAM version, and not you. But this point still holds valid.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2008, 16:30 

To add to this discussion, one item that should be verified is that the TripleHead2Go is properly detected in Windows Vista 64bit.

For the 64bit version of Vista, all users will need to MANUALLY update their monitor driver (INF) in order for the TripleHead2Go to be properly detected. If you haven't done this already, please contact our tech support department so they can walk you through this process.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 17:31 

ok, here are screenshots .............

The (abv) is my FOV after selecting 3-1280x800 16:10 ratio in my "edit list mode" in my "Matrox-SE". Then selecting 3840x800 in my "SGU".
Notice the top of aircraft prop is at the top of the screen. Also notice that you can only see about half of the aircraft gauges at the bottom of the screen.

The (abv) is my FOV after selecting 3-1280x960 4.3 ratio in my "edit list mode" in my "Matrox-SE". Then selecting 3840x960 in my "SGU".
Notice the top of aircraft prop is at the top of the screen. Also notice that you can see the 1st row of aircraft gauges in their entirety at the bottom of the screen. This means it has a better vertical FOV right?

The only way I have access to 3840x960 in the SGU is by selecting 3840x960 4:3 ratio in my "matrox-SE" - "edit list mode".
Keep in mind that my monitors are 16:10 ratio monitors. But I am allowedable to select 4:3 ratio resolutions in my "matrox-SE utility.
I think IL2-1946 was originally written as 4:3 ratio and I guess this is why the FOV is better after selecting a 4:3 resolution in the "matrox-SE.

I guess my point to all this is to pass on information to matrox so maybe as to help them figure out a way for us to get a better FOV.

Above of course is the correct FOV for IL2-1946 using a single monitor.

(edited trying to get screenshots to appear)

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 18:28 

To add to this discussion, one item that should be verified is that the TripleHead2Go is properly detected in Windows Vista 64bit.

For the 64bit version of Vista, all users will need to MANUALLY update their monitor driver (INF) in order for the TripleHead2Go to be properly detected. If you haven't done this already, please contact our tech support department so they can walk you through this process.

Mark, yes my monitor in my device manager states that it is "Matrox tripleHead2Go Digital edition".

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 20:49 

Cant seem to get those links to work to view your screenies. Waaa..lol
I signed up, but the links just take me to my empty file folder.
Kinda wondering if my beater laptop has anything to do with it?

Glad your on it windturbin. Sounds like Matrox is on it too...Woohoo!!!

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 10:00 

Great screenshots. Really shows the FOV difference. Course now i will be wanting it that way or better of course....lol

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 19:15 

Ok, system is back up and running.
It seems you are correct. I did not change anything in power desk but rather just switched resolutions in SGU.
I was able to get your screenshot to match with 3840x960.
By switching to 5040x1050 I was matching your screeny of your 1280x800.
Although I did not have that resolution available in my SGU (1280x800) I imagine I could get that option by going into power desk and selecting it, and it is an option in there.
It seems that the best option at this point is the 4:3 aspect at 3840x960.

I should also add Iam not very good at this stuff but learning as I go.
Windturbin is teaching me....hehehe

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 20:19 

I should also add Iam not very good at this stuff but learning as I go.
Windturbin is teaching me....hehehe

Sounds like the blind leading the blind :lol:

I am learning as I go as well. Is complicated stuff, no doubt.

The next question I have on my mind is..............

Is it possible for Matrox to offer 5040X1050 resolution in 4:3 aspect ratio within the "SE" - "edit list mode" list?

This would be the best setting solution for IL2-1946.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2008, 03:28 

The Steam version meaning the version of the game downloaded and launched via Steam. I assume that's what you meant in your original post when you said "STEAM version"?

With STEAM installed titles, the location of the game's config files and registry settings are sometimes different than the Disc version. In those cases, the SGU will have difficulties locating and modifying/"optimizing" these files for triplehead.

We are going to re-create your setup in-house to test.

I'll keep you posted. :cheers

*edit, I just noticed it was Ereth who mentioned STEAM version, and not you. But this point still holds valid.

Yes, I had the Steam version. And I can prove that the SGU was modifying the config file because the game changed after I set it. IF I set the values to anything outside the normal in-game range, then the game would minimize at launch and nothing I did could get it to come up off the task bar. If I un-did the config, the game ran fine on one monitor.

I finally gave up and reformatted to XP 32-bit and IL-2 1946 works perfectly at 5040x1050, and in fact, everything I've done with the TH2Go has gone so much smoother and simpler and usually works the first try.

I am not convinced my problem was Vista, but I AM convinced that my problem was Vista 64-bit. Going back to Vista 32-bit might have cured it, but definitely going to XP 32-bit solved it.

And as a side effect, the computer feels faster, too!