Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 07:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 17:48 

Those DLP screens are pretty cool but for some reason, the resolutions are funky to me 2x 1440x900?

Why not 2x 1920x1200 or 1600x1200 for a little more vertical resolution?

Hacking off the bezel with a few MM is acceptable to me. I wish we had more data about LCD panels with bezels off to determine if a hack project is worthwhile.

Today's lower LCD prices makes me wonder about it.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 18:12 
Editors
Editors

I doubt its worth while, even behind the plastic bezel there is sure to be stuff there that you cant cut off like parts of the screen that just do not have pixels or wiring. Then you really compromise the value and stability of the monitor.

I think a projector setup is the best way to go for 0 bezel.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 18:52 

honestly, I find one monitor enough....sure TH2G would be fun, but I don't think its worth the pain. It also depends how much time you spend gaming...me...I might get 10 hours a week...so not worth it.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 19:09 

There are only two reasons I don't game on my TH2GO at the moment:

1. Compatibility issues with games.
2. Performance demands.

I am currently hooked up to my 37" 1080p LCD. Being 1920x1080, there are still some older games that don't allow native res, but there were more troublesome games with my TH2GO.
As for performance, well obviously it's easier to run a 1080p display - it's basically half the megapixels of my 3840x1024 setup. This is the difference between choppy framerates on medium settings in Crysis, and tolerable Very high/High mixed settings in Crysis.
One thing that is not in dispute, is the fact that the TH2GO is more immersive. It really is amazing, but unfortunately I lack the GPU power to run such a high res AND high settings.

I'm still holding on to the TH2GO setup for the time being, as the future generations of GPU cards with 4GB GDDR5 on a 512bit bus (or whatever they have) will not have these problems with high resolution.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 20:03 

2. Performance demands.

that's what I though at first.
hardware that can run games at triplehead resolution are getting cheaper and cheaper and faster and faster. so performance is not really a big problem. you can always revert back to single screen gaming if your rig can't handle it. (but i will be a 22" or 24" instead of a 37")

Thanks to this site and community. I found was to get triplehead working for about 80-85% of the games I play (though in my case most of the games are FPS/driving and came out recently to within past 4 years)

those that don't work. doesn't really matter or would be strange in triple head anyway like Raiden 3, bionic commando.

it do give new life to games.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 20:21 
Editors
Editors

2. Performance demands.

I am currently hooked up to my 37" 1080p LCD. Being 1920x1080, there are still some older games that don't allow native res, but there were more troublesome games with my TH2GO.
As for performance, well obviously it's easier to run a 1080p display - it's basically half the megapixels of my 3840x1024 setup. This is the difference between choppy framerates on medium settings in Crysis, and tolerable Very high/High mixed settings in Crysis.
One thing that is not in dispute, is the fact that the TH2GO is more immersive. It really is amazing, but unfortunately I lack the GPU power to run such a high res AND high settings.

I'm still holding on to the TH2GO setup for the time being, as the future generations of GPU cards with 4GB GDDR5 on a 512bit bus (or whatever they have) will not have these problems with high resolution.

Thats exactly what I use and I agree. My dual 4850's can just barly max out some games at 1080P. I just got done with a 2 hour session of Dead Space and it was great. Sound has a lot to do with immersion too so having a good surround system or headphones is good.

I still want to try tripple head one day but cost of monitors + cost of the unit + cost of hardware.

I read the guru3d review of the new Nvidia GTX 295 the strongest card out now and even it started to die off big time at 30" monitor resolutions and that is still lower than a maxed out triple head resolution. One maybe two more cycles of GPU's and maybe they will have enough memory and things to keep it from pegging the HDD and the performance dropping to the floor.