Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 05:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 04:35 

Does the force feedback work no matter what platform you play on? I was looking at this because I do a lot of PC racing as well as xbox. I have the Microsoft and was kinda pissed when i got home and couldn't get FF on my PC.

Yes it works on all platforms. The strength depends on the game and how they developed it into the game. I know like in Forza 3 it is not as stong as say some pc games but you really know it is there it is still very stong but on pc games I have to turn it down to like 66 just saying.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 04:37 

This is my one xmas present the family is buying for me. I bought the clubsport pedals a week or so ago. They're to arrive on the 10th. I have UPS shipping info on it. The Turbo S wheel package I just put in for purchase 2 days ago. No shipping confirmation on that yet. It's good to see these finally shipping. Digging around, it looks like some people have been waiting months on pre-order for these wheels. I'm glad I'm only now buying it, so I didn't have to wait all that time for production.

I'm making a 986/996 racing simpit using this hardware and pulling a composite mold of the center console and dash from the 986 I have in the garage. I picked up an instrument cluster on ebay, so I need to figure out how to interface that. Interfacing the cluster is going to be a PITA, but worse case I just gut it and put in servos to run the gauges. I'd rather figure out how to interface it though. It should turn out to be a pretty bada$$ racing simpit once done. Now just to learn how not to suck at driving online and I'm all set. :lol:

The only downside about the Turbo S is that it's a limited production run item. It's simply not going to ever have the adoption rate of the G25/27. That means most of the aftermarket mods will remain with the logitech users. I also hear the design of the shifters is weak. I'll most likely upgrade shifters come b-day if it's true. The Lightning SST looks great, but if Fanatec came out with a Clubsport shifter that was decent price that wouldn't be bad either.

:rockout

Nice you will have to update this thread when you get everything going. Like I said before I have had a G25 before and I prefer everything about this wheel. I do like the shifter a lot more as well seems way more solid the G25 was really sloppy to me.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 04:38 

How do the Fanatec regular pedals compare to the G25's ? Is the shifter better as well?

They are good the Gas pedal is very soft but other then that I like them. Someday I will prolly upgrade to the clubsport pedals though.

Again personal preference but I like the fanatec shifter better as well.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 05:01 

nice setup you got there bowenac.

i'm a big racing fan and love simulations and the occasional arcade racer. must say dirt 2 is amazing. absolutely amazing. i love the rally racing in there. feels better then rbr imho. rbr is a little to hard, in an unrealistic way. the car doesn't react quite right. dirt 2 even for an arcade game is very impressive. especially the rally aspect of the game.

favorite games right now as far as racing games go:

iRacing-hands down the best most authentic racing simulator on the market. only for the hardcore

race07/evo/race on/stcc-still in my old league with my old buddies. game is definitely feeling its age.

dirt 2-awesome. just pure fun and a nice challenge when you're really pushing it. i'm playing with 1080° of rotation on my wheel and it feels great believe it or not, have to really work the wheel like the real guys. i'm loving this game way more then i thought i would be.

my equipment for racing:

Frex Simwheel
X-Sim g-force seat that i built
ECCI-3 pedals
Sequential shifter with button box. ripped the sequential shifter out of a cheap madcatz wheel and wired them up to a leo bodnar button board.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 05:10 

Getting the nvidia 3d vision bundle kit tomorrow. Bought it with the black Friday deal with $100 off so i'll let you know how good it is with racing games tomorrow. If its as good as i hope i'm gonna get a projector and add it in my cockpit for a nice size immersive display with 3d. Should kick ass

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 05:32 
Editors
Editors

Not to derail the discussion but seems kinda valid to mention that the G27 can be had for just under $200 w/ free shipping right now at Amazon due to this 20% off logitech rebate they have. Thats a good sounding deal almost tempted me :D

Do you think the G25 pedals are better than the non club sport Fanatec pedals? and I guess you can just upgrade your pedals down the line without needing a new wheel right?

Im definitely not looking at the G25 as an upgrade from the Momo its lack of buttons alone would keep me from choosing it (on the wheel) but the fact the better G27 is out there now for about the same price is even less of a reason to consider the g25 for anything.

I wish there was somewhere that had a G27 and a Fanatec on display to use, id like to see how the new conical gears on the G27 compare to the belt drive of the Fanatec.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 06:26 

Not to derail the discussion but seems kinda valid to mention that the G27 can be had for just under $200 w/ free shipping right now at Amazon due to this 20% off logitech rebate they have. Thats a good sounding deal almost tempted me :D

Do you think the G25 pedals are better than the non club sport Fanatec pedals? and I guess you can just upgrade your pedals down the line without needing a new wheel right?

Im definitely not looking at the G25 as an upgrade from the Momo its lack of buttons alone would keep me from choosing it (on the wheel) but the fact the better G27 is out there now for about the same price is even less of a reason to consider the g25 for anything.

I wish there was somewhere that had a G27 and a Fanatec on display to use, id like to see how the new conical gears on the G27 compare to the belt drive of the Fanatec.

I think the belt drive is always going to have it hands down. There is no dead zone. It is quite and I know the belt should last a very long time. Just think about how long belts last on a car and @ what RPM they are at. I don't see the belt going out any time soon and don't know if I would put that many hours into this wheel. I would like to think I would hehe.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 07:03 
Insiders
Insiders

I think the belt drive is always going to have it hands down. There is no dead zone. It is quite and I know the belt should last a very long time. Just think about how long belts last on a car and @ what RPM they are at. I don't see the belt going out any time soon and don't know if I would put that many hours into this wheel. I would like to think I would hehe.

From what I understand, Fanatec used readily available belts in the design that can be purchased if they do wear. It's not a proprietary belt design. Here is the link:
http://www.911wheel.de/?q=faq/can-belts-be-stretched

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 21:33 
Editors
Editors

Wow just now saw the price of the wheel.

The main site was 350 uro not USD and with a 1.5x conversion thats over 2x more than the G27 and they say they will not ship to the states.

I found another fanatec site that has preorder and ships to the states and its $350 usd but thats still a stiff bill. Says limited edition too so they are trying to make you buy it in fear that it wont be there later.

I was comparing the wheel to the G27 thinking t may cost a bit more but for nearly double my comparison is over :D its time to keep an eye out for G27 deals, well actually now is the time its on sale for less than $200 shipped but not sure if I am ready to make that purchase just yet.

At full retail of $300 USD for the G27 I think I would spend the extra $50 for the Fanatec for sure since I already have a logitech product.

Aww man im confused lol. Good inside sim racing review of the fanatec wheel.

They hit it for poor clamp and shifter mount, soft gas pedal, bad plug & play vs the G25 (this review was before the G27), and price. But liked the quiet no gear operation, force feedback and smoothness of the wheel. Oh and no pedal shifters, just buttons.

I guess I'll keep an open mind on it still I want to see just how quiet and smooth the new gears are on the G27 and if I find they are good I think I'll go that route.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 22:19 

Plastic pedals sounds kinda meh on paper, how do they work in reality though?

Looking at prices, the Logitech G27 and Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S Wheel EU are more or less the same price over here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next