Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 15:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiny menu in Oblivion!
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 06:11 

Hey all, long time lurker of this forum and I love it. I'm trying to get all my games setup for ATI Eyefinity, as I just got my 5870 setup. I've got a 3x1 config using a Dell 2210, Samsung 226CW, and my wonderful Sony FW900 in the middle. :-D 5040x1050 res total.

I've successfully configured Fallout3, and I carried that methodology to Oblivion. (manual res ini edit, FOV edit to ini and streamline ini) Unfortunately, I am having an issue there. It loads up and looks like it is going to have the right res/FOV, but when I hit esc to bring up the main menu, (new game, load game, options, quit, etc.) it's TINY! About 1x1.5" on my middle screen. It doesn't accept mouse input of any kind. I am running a mod to change the menus, so perhaps that has something to do with it. While I see if anyone has any ideas I'll be working on removing that, but being that I installed it about a year and a half ago I don't even know what it is. :-D

Does anyone have any ideas? In lieu of that, has anyone got Obliv working correctly on a 3x wide config just so that I can confirm it's a problem with my install? Thanks!

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 21:40 

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Restore your config file and start fresh. I used my SGU to configure the game. It works fine that way. Don't know if AMD has that feature or not. It probably does have something to configure games that do not have native support.
As for the UI, I guess you are talking about DarNified UI?
If so, I have it working fine in Fallout3, but had some problems with OB, so maybe that is what is wrong. That could be your problem. I don't recall what the problem I was having was exactly. But I am thinking the mouse cursor would not trigger things correctly in the menus, or something like that. Like what you are experiencing. There may be a fix, but I didn't look for one.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 08:29 

Hmmm... I'm confused now. I completely uninstalled Oblivion and deleted the entire config folder. (as well as the data folder) Unfortunately, with only Oblivion, official DLC, Shivering Isles, and the newest patch installed I'm still having the same issue! It only happens when I've enabled the changes for eyefinity. Here are the exact changes:

Oblivion.ini:
iSize W=5040
iSize H=1050
fDefaultFOV=150.0000

Am I missing something? I'd love to get this game working and get into it again!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 09:22 
Insiders
Insiders

I recall finding mods that made the HUD and UI elements smaller. Surely, if you investigate those mods a bit, you will find a way to makes the fonts larger than default...

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 21:41 

I recall finding mods that made the HUD and UI elements smaller. Surely, if you investigate those mods a bit, you will find a way to makes the fonts larger than default...

Hey Abram; thanks for the suggestion, but this is most definitely not an issue a mod would fix. I'm not really describing myself properly. I will try to get a screenshot to illustrate, but I will further flesh out the issue by stating that the problem is that the background initially comes up fine, but then the main game menu screen itself is rendered on the center screen in 1.5 x 1". Everything is absolutely tiny, including the mouse cursor, etc. It's an entire rendering engine issue, not a font or menu size problem.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 21:59 
Editors
Editors

Try ... NOT ... changing the FOV.
I don't think TH requires a FOV change for things to look correct in game ...
The FOV setting is maybe changing the menus etc.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 02:13 

That may be it. I just checked mine and it is;
fDefaultFOV=75.0000

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 05:37 

Try ... NOT ... changing the FOV.
I don't think TH requires a FOV change for things to look correct in game ...
The FOV setting is maybe changing the menus etc.

That's it. I feel dumb. Thanks everyone. Now to locate a mod that lets me position the HUD on the center monitor... :-D

Performance is pretty impressive BTW, especially with the "Oblivion stutter remover" which I had never tried before.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 08:32 

Glad you got it working.

As for the FOV. If you want to change it, once the game is running in 3d, hit the ~ key and type; fov 85 hit enter and then the ~ key again.
I just used 85 as an example, you can use anything within reason. I just had a look at 150, trust me, you did not want 150, lol. I often change mine to 62. It reduces the edge distortion a little, especially when inside a cave or hallway, etc. Still gives plenty of a wide view at that.