Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 05:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008, 16:17 

Thanks Ghimpi! I actually have 2 analogs now and am also considering selling...lol. That's unfortunate about horizontal spanning not being an option in Vista. I'm guessing that means you wouldn't be able to use your current setup with Vista. I'll check out the link you gave, thanks for the help!
Airhogg

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008, 16:19 

if i had that much cash to blow i'd rather set up 3 hd projectors and use the top 2/3rds of my wall ^^

+ it will be 1 nice image across without the crappy bezel :P

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 05:08 
Insiders
Insiders

if i had that much cash to blow i'd rather set up 3 hd projectors and use the top 2/3rds of my wall ^^

Who says I don't already have a 3 HD projector setup? I've got 3 InFocus SP5000 for my simpit setup. BTW, the throw distance for 3 projectors makes 2/3rds wall problematic unless you have about 12 foot throw and about 10 foot wide per projector. That's a topic for another thread altogether though. :wink:

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 18:55 

[quote]if i had that much cash to blow i'd rather set up 3 hd projectors and use the top 2/3rds of my wall ^^

Who says I don't already have a 3 HD projector setup? I've got 3 InFocus SP5000 for my simpit setup. BTW, the throw distance for 3 projectors makes 2/3rds wall problematic unless you have about 12 foot throw and about 10 foot wide per projector. That's a topic for another thread altogether though. :wink:

LoL u crazy SOB!

U r now officially my idol

LOL!

i demand more screens of crysis with 3xprojects >,<

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 23:29 
Insiders
Insiders

LoL u crazy SOB!

U r now officially my idol

LOL!

i demand more screens of crysis with 3xprojects >,<

Don't really have anything else to show on the 3 projector setup yet. I've yet to setup a screen for it. The simpit is still being worked on.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 05:30 

That's awesome Ghimpi! :D
I have 2 projectors myself and experimented a little with a rear projection setup for one of them. I went to walmart and bought a cork bulletin board and cut out the cork and used the frame to hold some frosty white plastic material from work to get about a 42" screen. The rear projection idea is a great solution for cockpit building I think. 3 of them using triple head would be awesome, but I would somehow build it as a single frame to eliminate the center "bezels". Something about running 3 projectors at once is keeping me from going any farther with this, but it would look great! Good luck!

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 05:59 
Insiders
Insiders

I don't think I've posted a pic of the "simpit" here before. I think I've now successfully totally derailed the original topic...hehe

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 16:55 

OMG!!! :shock:
Is it bad that I'm actually trying to figure out how to fit that in a living room? Maybe a skill saw around just the "sit-in" area and scrap the rest. Every time I do an ebay search for cockpits, I forget that there's usually a fuselage attached to it in some way! To associate this with the original thread, you could maybe wrap your 4 lcd's around the front and top. It would be nice to look up out of the canopy and actually see scenery too! We should start another thread and I'll post some pics as well!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2009, 07:35 
Insiders
Insiders

OMG!!! :shock:
Is it bad that I'm actually trying to figure out how to fit that in a living room? Maybe a skill saw around just the "sit-in" area and scrap the rest. Every time I do an ebay search for cockpits, I forget that there's usually a fuselage attached to it in some way! To associate this with the original thread, you could maybe wrap your 4 lcd's around the front and top. It would be nice to look up out of the canopy and actually see scenery too! We should start another thread and I'll post some pics as well!

That particular aircraft will get bigger, not smaller. :) The wings and aft fuselage will be put back on the aircraft eventually for display purposes. It's being restored...but will be the basis for a copy of the cockpit to be hooked up with FSX and FS9 and eventually FighterOps. I already have purchased the manufacturers technical drawings on microfilm for the aircraft. I also have access to a few other F-84F that are complete. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, so parts design and reverse engineering is a no brainer for me. :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 16:55 
Insiders
Insiders

With Vista gaining more traction and Windows 7 on the horizion I reviewed just how practical the 4 Display setup is and came to the conclusion I want to be running the latest OS. That means back to triple-head status using Vista x64 until Win 7 is released to retail.

Overall:
7680x1200 is achievable and functional using an 8-series or better video card, 2 Matrox Digital DualHead2Go and XP horizontal-span mode on a single card.

Downsides:
1) Can only use this setup with XP or XP x64.
2) No DirectX 10 or 11, because this won't work in Vista or Win 7.
3) It puts a bezel in your center field of view. If possible, use an odd amount of displays, never even to prevent this issue.
4) You lose the option to SLI because of the way it is configured.

Upsides:
1) Simply put, it's the widest hardware accelerated 3D gaming setup possible at this time.
2) An obscene amount of desktop area for use.
3) Allows for native resolution to be used on 24" LCDs.

Final thoughts, I was happy with the setup, but I want to move on to newer games and OS again. In the future I would be severely hindering myself with DirectX 9.0c capability only. Plus, I want to run SLI, so I need to go triple-head to do that. It was fun, but I think triple-head is more productive. Hopefully this thread will serve as an archive of information to prove what is possable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next