Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 14:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 02:27 

[quote]
AMD may be a bit further along the road in terms of features for Eyefinity, but for me presonally, the lack of Crossfire support in windowed gaming (I run WoW in windowed mode for multiboxing) was a deal-breaker. I'm not saying that this makes Nvidia the better vendor, only that it makes them the better option for me. :)

Cheers,
S.

Neither SLI nor Crossfire work in windowed mode. WOW doesn't scale well with either one anyway.

You sure about that chief? :D

Cheers,
S.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2011, 07:47 
Insiders
Insiders

IMO, both ATI/AMD Eyefinity and Nvidia Surround are still in their relative infancy as far as technologies go (look at how driver dependent both are).

What would be my dream would be for Microsoft to realize the viability of multi-display gaming and just implement it into Windows 8 in DirectX 12.0 at an OS level and blow all this NVIDIA Surround, Matrox TH2G and AMD Eyefinity stuff out of the water. For once in our lives be able to just plug in displays wherever and configure in the Display control panel. If only life were ever that simple...I can dream right? :nudgenudge

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2011, 12:53 

Agree with all.
nVidia's solution was a stepback from what was already being done with a single card and a TH2Go (fogetting the bandwith limitation of TH2Go) and seems a bitch of a botch. They could have gone down the road of implementing TH2Go style hardware on board together with fine control over splitting, bezel management etc. at the hardware level with software control.

All from a single card with the ability to add multi-sli to the mix etc.

I think AMD should really get into gear and push DP1.2 hubs, develop them themselves, perhaps as part of an Eyefinity package, to take the control of multiple displays to the next level again. I could see Matrox moving into DP1.2 hubs as their next progress on from DH2Go, TH2Go etc.

Maybe AMD could incorporate some of the hub electronics on board the card so that their hub becomes more of a simple breakout box, they'd then have hardware control at a driver level over the hub side of things to manage bezels, scaling, portrait/landscape combinations etc. The only limit to what you can connect should be the available bandwidth and physical connections supported, you should be able to mix and match native resolutions, orientation, sync' limitations etc. without issue.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2011, 20:15 
Insiders
Insiders

Agree with all.
nVidia's solution was a stepback from what was already being done with a single card and a TH2Go (fogetting the bandwith limitation of TH2Go) and seems a bitch of a botch. They could have gone down the road of implementing TH2Go style hardware on board together with fine control over splitting, bezel management etc. at the hardware level with software control.

All from a single card with the ability to add multi-sli to the mix etc.

I think AMD should really get into gear and push DP1.2 hubs, develop them themselves, perhaps as part of an Eyefinity package, to take the control of multiple displays to the next level again. I could see Matrox moving into DP1.2 hubs as their next progress on from DH2Go, TH2Go etc.

Maybe AMD could incorporate some of the hub electronics on board the card so that their hub becomes more of a simple breakout box, they'd then have hardware control at a driver level over the hub side of things to manage bezels, scaling, portrait/landscape combinations etc. The only limit to what you can connect should be the available bandwidth and physical connections supported, you should be able to mix and match native resolutions, orientation, sync' limitations etc. without issue.

Completely agreed. With having a wall from the graphics card you should be able to have a Virtual resolution and place displays within that virtual resolution in any means.
Like so:

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2011, 23:37 
Insiders
Insiders

It's a shame only SoftTH 2 beta can pull this off still. It took about 2 years, but SoftTH really did implement a lot of my original wish list into their 2.0 version. Problem is SoftTH needs to sit as a global driver utility on top of the OS like NTHUSIM does. This hand editing config files has gotta go. Give it a GUI and a profile system already. :wink:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2011, 06:15 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]

It's a shame only SoftTH 2 beta can pull this off still. It took about 2 years, but SoftTH really did implement a lot of my original wish list into their 2.0 version. Problem is SoftTH needs to sit as a global driver utility on top of the OS like NTHUSIM does. This hand editing config files has gotta go. Give it a GUI and a profile system already. :wink:
Well maybe if we pay the guy this can happen.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2011, 02:09 
Founder
Founder

You don't want to use a single card for eyefinity your fps will be simply too low, so you'll need 2 cards anyway.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2011, 12:09 
Insiders
Insiders

You don't want to use a single card for eyefinity your fps will be simply too low, so you'll need 2 cards anyway.

You are talking to someone who runs 7680x1600 off of a single 5870 E6 Card. There are trade off's I guess, but I just know this cards beats the shit out of my old 4870 1GB card (which I used my TH2Go on). I get good enough performance. All I care about are Textures and Anti-Aliasing so those go up before everything else, then I turn on the other stuff and get as good a picture that It can take. Eventually I'm going to do a CPU upgrade to kill that bottleneck (it's rather significant actually).

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2011, 15:31 
Editors
Editors

Aye... perhaps I don't expect 'too much' in Surround, but I think DiRT2 and Just Cause2 (among others) being 40+fps in 5760x1080 isn't too bad on a single GPU card (that's what the 6970 manages)...

Now, in 5x1P I can see a single card becoming a bottleneck... but for 1080p triplewide a single 6970 does admirably.

If nVidia Surround worked on a single card, I'd try it just to see what sort of FPS I'd get.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011, 05:09 

I give nVidia a B for getting Surround out and mostly working, but then I give them a D for follow up. There has been little improvement or added features in the last 7 months. I am still using the original drivers and Matrox PowerDesk to create three zones, ridiculous! (new drivers don't seem to work for me).

On the plus side, installed Dead Space 2, worked triplewide without a fuss or a crash, fun game!

Core i7-8086K @ 5.0 Ghz | H60 | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti 6GB | Soundblaster Z | Asus Z370-A

16GB DDR4 | Win10 x64 | 3x27" Asus IPS @ 5760x1080 | Samsung 970 1TB NVMe