Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 13:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2006, 04:52 

No support for that at the moment.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2006, 16:28 
Editors
Editors

i currently have a dell 2005FPW, and im looking into getting a surround gaming setup, however, is there anyway for me to get 2 smaller/cheaper monitors for the left and right ones and use my dell in the middle? Bascially im looking for something i can pick up at my local computer store.

Also, whats the difference between this matrox hardware which does 3 screens at once, and 2 7800GTX's with SLI turned off using 1 card to run the center and other for left and right monitor?

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2006, 21:26 

If you get smaller screens on the side, you won't be able to properly align the images between all three screens. The problem will be in the vertical, where the top and the bottom of the monitors won't line up. If it save you a lot of money, though, it shouldn't be too bad. When I first started using my TripleHead2Go I had 21" CRTs on the right and in the center, and on the left was a 17" CRT. The two big guys were flat screens and the left was curved, as well. This was a pretty bad geometry mismatch but really didn't take away too much from the triplehead experience.

You can't output full-screen 3D using more than one card, i.e. you can't drive three displays in 3D mode using 2 7800s. You should be able to, but you can't; I don't know whether to blame Windows, nVidia/ATI, or someone else, but it's not possible. There is a thread here from a few weeks ago where someone spanned a windowed 3D app across multiple monitors, and as soon as he hit the second video card there was a massive framerate drop. No one really knows why, but the best guess is the overhead required to sync the frame buffers of each video card.

The TripleHead2Go will allow you to take the GPU power of SLI and devote it to a triplehead gaming resolution while maintianing high framerates.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2006, 22:40 
Editors
Editors

Thanks JKeefe, I do have 1 more question though. Is there an easy way to switch between using my center screen for windows desktop, and then change to triple monitor when i run 3D apps?

Also, some 3D apps i dont want to run in 3 montior mode, is that easy to change?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2006, 19:23 

If you have your TripeHead2Go set to a single-screen resolution on the desktop and a game is set to use a triplehead resoltuion, then the TripleHead2Go will automatically switch to triplehead operation when the game starts and the triplehead resolution is initialized.

If you set a 3D app to run in single-screen mode it will only run on the center screen.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2006, 16:30 

its beginning to look very tempting to start saving for the 2 other 2405's,(have one and love it) i know they can only support 2 1680x1050's at the moment, but if they can sort out the bandwitdth limitation so they can support 3 then its off to beg the bank manager for another loan

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200