Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 09:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 21:33 
Insiders
Insiders

I did the create cfg file tutorial, set it up like so:

cvaradd g_fov 20
cvaradd hands_fovscale 1
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 8
image_anisotropy 16

When I set this cfg file in place my textures and bitmaps looked a TON better than that screenshot above. The one above is still using the console level graphics like the crap I was looking at, but according to an article I read this cfg file entry helps force the higher resolution files to be used.I did notice a big difference in quality of graphics once I did.

I have AA in-game set up at 16, resolution set at 5980x1080 and I get around 33-35FPS. I see people getting 60FPS+ on similar resolutions and I am confused. Aside from the nvidia drivers continuing to crashon me, I do have some beefy hardware and a hexa-core CPU at 4.66GHz and still wondering why so low FPS.

Any advice is appreciated - I like to max out as much as I can, but want as much FPS as I can squeeze at the same time. Being that RAGE is a DX10 game, these three GTX 580 3GB cards should be smoking through this game IMO.

I've already set all those things In my config. This is the "improved" config showing a nice area full of texture compression artifacts. You can only make it look so good when the compression has already taken place on the source files long before they got onto your hard disk. Megatexture tech seems to need massive hard drive space to look good, as the promo vids for the game were all shot with the dev build that has the textures only compressed to 150GB in size.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 22:38 

RAGE would be the first game to profit from being sold on a 50GB Blu-Ray Disk :D

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 23:11 
Insiders
Insiders

RAGE would be the first game to profit from being sold on a 50GB Blu-Ray Disk :D

.. or 5 of them :D

Hell they should buy a bulk order of cheap hard disks and just mail people out the uncompressed game on them :) For some people that's actually cheaper bandwidth than paying ISP overage charges , lol.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 23:19 

[quote]Being that RAGE is a DX10 game, these three GTX 580 3GB cards should be smoking through this game IMO.

RAGE isnt a DX10 game, its OpenGL. ;) Hve you enabled GPU transcode in game menu ? Try to add these two commands to your rageConfig file:

vt_useCudaTranscode 2
vt_cudaBudget 20

Actually I posted my test config file - before I tested it. Originally I was running this:

cvaradd g_fov 20
cvaradd hands_fovscale 1
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 16384
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 16384
vt_pageimagesizeunique 16384
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 16384
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 8
image_anisotropy 16

What I found was a major jump in smoothness when I set the GPU Transcode on - which makes no sense to me if the engine uses high end CPU's to their fullest. A hexa-core 990X at 4.66Ghz should be smokin this game. But anyway, so I drop on the GPU Transcode and things go smooth as butter even at 33FPS. So I dropped back to the 8192 settings and get a smooth 50FPS now with GPU Transcoding turned on. I will give your config addition a shot - thanks for the additional parameters to give it a try. I assume the "vt_useCudaTranscode 2" is the same as turning on GPU Transcoding?

EVGA CLASSIFIED 3 (E770) | Core i7 990X Extreme | Koolance ERM-2K3UCU | Corsair Dominator GT 3x4GB DDR3 2000MHz 9-10-9-27 | EVGA GTX 580 3GB x3 3-Way SLI | Silverstone SST-ST1500 1500w PSU | OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 60GB RAID 0 Programs | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB SSD RA

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2011, 03:40 
Insiders
Insiders

I assume the "vt_useCudaTranscode 2" is the same as turning on GPU Transcoding?

AFAIK there's 3 settings, 0 for off then 1 and 2. Maybe 2 is a higher level or something. And yes, that's the GPU transcoding.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2011, 12:05 
Editors
Editors

I assume the "vt_useCudaTranscode 2" is the same as turning on GPU Transcoding?

This is the variable that is tied to the GPU Transcode option in the in-game menu. 0 is off, 1 is on, and 2 is forced, which cannot be set in-game. When the setting is 1, the game continuously monitors the time spent rendering on the GPU and the time spent transcoding textures. If it detects that the game is likely starting to render too slowly, it dramatically cuts back the amount of GPU transcoding to prevent the game frame rate from becoming sub-optimal. When it detects that there are spare GPU cycles it slowly raises the transcoding rate until a balance is found. As such, GPU Transcoding can be enabled on four-year-old GPUs with little to no impact on the frame rate or in-game texture streaming. The heuristic isn't perfect because the load can change drastically from one second to the next, and the data that the game receives is slightly delayed, which is why it’s impossible to say that GPU Transcoding will never impact your frame rate.

It can be overwritten however by setting the value in the config file to 2. In this case, vt_useCudaTranscode will always try to do all the work on the GPU, which can cause frame rate disruptions, especially when rendering Rage at higher resolutions on slower GPUs. However, if a user feels that image fidelity is more important than a constant sixty frames per second, this is perfectly acceptable to use, though it is only recommended for users of GeForce 500 series GPUs.

Source: http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2011, 20:28 
Insiders
Insiders

Forcing GPU tans-code to 2 works fine on my 480. The game barely uses the card to 45% without trans-code, so there's plenty to spare. It's the same FPS either way whether I do trans-code on my SLI'd card, on my main card or on the CPU.

Doing it with my SLI card does result in micro stutter though so I turned that off.

Post subject: tet5uo - thx for the
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2011, 20:41 

tet5uo - thx for the verification

thales100 - thanks for the detailed explanation on these settings - much appreciated

I found the micro-stutter when it was not enabled and was relying mainly on the CPU. When GPU Transcoding was enabled it went much smoother. I also found that there wasn't much of a detail quality difference between 8192 or 16384 in the cfg file settings. I did however find I increased FPS to more of a 50FPS avg with the 8192 option for the 1.5GB video cards, even though I am running the 3GB cards.

EVGA CLASSIFIED 3 (E770) | Core i7 990X Extreme | Koolance ERM-2K3UCU | Corsair Dominator GT 3x4GB DDR3 2000MHz 9-10-9-27 | EVGA GTX 580 3GB x3 3-Way SLI | Silverstone SST-ST1500 1500w PSU | OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 60GB RAID 0 Programs | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB SSD RA

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2011, 23:41 
Insiders
Insiders

50 FPS seems broken for some reason. I mean it's barely using my resources yet pegged to 60 like it's locked there no matter what happens on screen.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2011, 13:58 
Insiders
Insiders

To fix the GUI (which is not too bad, but I found racing to be difficult without the minimap visible)

Attached file is a CheatEngine Auto Assemble script as Flawless Widescreen is still in hibernation.

Start CheatEngine, attach it to the process (glowing icon top left, choose Rage), click Memory Viewer, then goto Tools->Auto Assemble
File->Load, change the lines mentioned below...
Click Execute, it should report the injection to have been successful - if so completely close and exit CheatEngine (can cause game to crash if its open)

mov [adjust], (float)3.376 //EXPERIMENT WITH THIS VALUE,
//ROUGHLY MONITOR COUNT + A LITTLE
//BIT EXTRA, VALUE SHOWN FOR 5760x1080

mov [resolutionx], (float)5760.0 //YOUR RESOLUTION

Make sure you modify these lines in the file.

If it doesn't seem like it has immediately taken affect - alt enter to windowed and alt enter back to full screen.

Attached files rage-gui.zip (905 B)

Want to keep Flawless Widescreen alive? Donate Here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next