Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 May 2024, 04:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 May 2006, 16:55 

Has anyone tried to use two monitors for gaming, but by using the secondary monitor as a chat/menu/map device?

I think it would be cool to have a secondary monitor on some games, like MMOs, that displayed maps, chats, running stats and so forth. I think it would be a great idea to move some of the UI elements from the main screen to a secondary without expanding the actual resolution of the game.

PostPosted: 06 May 2006, 18:58 

Hello!

Matrox once tried to convince the gamers and the game developers of the benefits of DualHead gaming. I believe this was back in 1999-2001, when Matrox Millennium G400/G450 graphics cards were brand new. It didn't really worked. It's just too complicated from the game developers point of view. :cry:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/3d_gaming/enhanced.cfm

PostPosted: 06 May 2006, 23:27 

Actually there was one game that took great advantage of Dual-Head and that was Star Trek: Armada and Star Trek Armada 2. They used to have the galactic maps and ship information on the 2nd screen and the main game screen on the primary... It was quite fun :-)

The problem after that was that some game developers didn't like the Dual-Head gaming as the center point of most would be broken up by the monitor' bezels

PostPosted: 07 May 2006, 00:04 
Founder
Founder

The problem after that was that some game developers didn't like the Dual-Head gaming as the center point of most would be broken up by the monitor' bezels

And that is why TripleHead rules - no center bezel.

PostPosted: 07 May 2006, 21:28 
Editors
Editors

And once Matrox get it to work with a widescreen in the middle ... :wink: ... :shock: :shock: :shock: ... D

PostPosted: 08 May 2006, 15:25 

Titles in the Microsoft Flight Simulator series continue to support dual-head gaming. Flight instrument windows can be dragged anywhere on screen, including other monitors.

Before I got my TripleHead2Go, and now when I play games that are better on a single monitor, I put Ventrilo, AIM, and the layout for my controllers on the second monitor.