Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 23:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2008, 08:52 

Hello everybody,

I just buyed some used screens on eBay, because I was gifted with a new Matrox TH2G Digital for my Birthday Smile

So, very motivated I started the setup on my (little old) computer. I switched it off, reconntected every cable ( short DVI from GFX to TH2G, three dvi cable to the screens). I got a little selfpowered (AC) USB-Hub, there I jacked the power-USB from the TH2G inn.

Basicly The setup was done. I powered on my Computer, installed the new sw from Matron Homepage (Powerdesk, SGU). Rebooted once more, but sadly there is NO more resolution as 2400x600 pixel. I tried nvidia driver reinstallation, an update to 169.44 (what is the pretty latest), no changes... then i fell back to 169.21 (WHQL), no changes. In every case I have only 2400x600 px max, at least in streched mode. But it´s really better to keep ONE 1280x1024 then 2400x600 over three screens Smile

I know it could work, whilst setup of matrox sw, I got once the option to switch to 3840x1024, after reboot it was gone. I can´t reproduce this option of resolution. Evil or Very Mad

Maybe I ignored something, but everywhere I red it´s easy as counting 1,2,3... Razz

Honestly I´ve to say I changed cablings first time, while my computer was on, my screen kept black, so I rebooted and the screen came back.

I´m sure, I can´t be the onliest one, who ever has this issue.

Please HELP, Rolling Eyes

My TH2G Setup:
----------------
|Geforce 7800GS| <===1x short dvi ===> |TH2G|

1.Monitor |TH2G| <=== vendor dvi cable ===> Samsung SyncMaster 191T (19")
2. Monitor |TH2G| <=== 18+1 dvi cable ===> BenQFP93GX (19")
3 Monitor |TH2G| <=== vendor dvi cable ===> Samsung SyncMaster 191T (19")

No WideScreen TFT´s are used (!) - all default 19" , 4:3 i guess.
My System shows me "Plug and Play" Screen, on some websites, i´ve red there should be a "Multimonitor matrox..." listed. Does it matter?

Any ideas what could help to get max resolution?

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2008, 18:29 

Don't know if this is of any help, but I had the exact same problem when I first got my TH2G Digital.

For me it turned out to be the DVI cable from the graphics card to the input of the TH2G. Although this cable had worked flawlessly on a single monitor previously, it would only give me the 2400x600 resolution option. I can only assume that the cable wasn't fully connected from pin to pin.

I initially confirmed it was the DVI cable by using a 15pin D-Sub analogue cable on the analogue input - with a DVI to analogue converter that came with graphics card (8800GTS). Everything then suddenly worked as advertised.

I changed the DVI cable for another, bought separately from the local PC store and now have my full 3840x1024 in glorious digital :)

Also, my setup shows 'plug and play monitor' so I don't believe that has any bearing on your issue.

Edit : For speeling!

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2008, 19:03 

The cable was a good hint. I checked the short cable from the gfx card to th2g. It seems there is a pin damaged. possibly thats the cause. another 18+1 cable wouldn´t work i guess. Tomorrow i will have a trip to my local hardware dealer, were i pickup parts for my new computer (with 8800gt).
Then I will spend some bucks for a new short full pinned dvi cable as well.

Is there a munfacted issue with these messy shorty cables from matrox? :?

Edit:
MOOEEP!

didn´t help. I also made a connect to the gfx card via converter to the analog input. no change. still 2400x600
hm. possibly the 7800gs is the issue, but matrox says 7800gs should give 3840x1024 strange.

Anyway I will have to buy a new DVI cable.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2008, 20:02 

but matrox says 7800gs should give 3840x1024

I can confirm this. It's working for me just fine.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 04:51 

Hello, kontur. I went through the same thing.

1. Do NOT use a USB hub, powered or otherwise. While the USB connection is documented as being for power, it must also be for control. It has to plug straight into a USB port on your PC. The symptom that I saw was that the GXM software would not launch.

I also recommend that the TH2Go be the only device on the USB header, as the TH2Go appears to use the maximum allowed power on USB. If you have other USB devices, plug them into USB ports that are on other headers. You might have to open up your computer to check.

2. Your TH2Go should have come with a short DVI cable out of the box. Maybe there are some versions that do not, so check the TH2Go packing list. The cable is specifically made to support dual-link DVI, which many cables do not. Use that Matrox cable to connect the TH2Go to your graphics card.

3. If your graphics card has two DVI output ports, try the other one. I have a two-port nVidia 7800GTX, and only one port supports dual-link DVI.

4. Before making any changes to the physical configuration, power off all of the devices beforehand. Don't forget to switch off the case power for the computer, as it might be supplying USB power even when the computer is "off". I even had to unplug my monitors' AC power for this, as earlier experimentation with a notebook had shown that their DVI ports were active, even with their back-panel power switches off. After changes, power on your monitors, then your computer.

Issues 2 and 3 above have the symptom that you describe. Failure to support the higher advertised resolutions points to a limit on bandwidth over the DVI link. It is the same reason why very high-resolution digital monitors also require dual-link DVI.

The GXM software offers no feedback on these issues. You have to guess and experiment.

Best wishes,
Ian

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 05:30 

Some cables are just poorly made. I have two belkin 'pure av blue' dvi cables here, one of them simply 'lost' the analog side pins. I randomly noticed it, don't know if they fell off or if they got stuck in a plug somewhere. First cable that's had that problem to date, and I have boxes full of em.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 12:21 

Hey Ian, and others,

thanks for your investigation.

@ Ian:

1. Make sense to me, I tryed it. My XPC Barebone with this specific model doesn´t deliver enouph power to the usb header that is direct in my pc. That was the cause to buy a seperated full 2.0 hub with high powerage to deliver nearly each port with full speed and full power. basicly the GMX software detects the th2go, as it´s starting and let me change some settings.
What makes me worry, the "Triple Head 2 Go Mode Extender Module" what is seperated tool from matrox for this box, tells me there is no TH2G connected to my computer, and closes immediatly.

Today I will hopefully get a nice phone call, so I can pick up all ordered parts, for my new computer, hopefully it will work there. I will keep you informed.
btw. it will be a eVGA 8800GT superclocked with 2xDVI dual-link.
my new Barebone comes with 400W, should be enough for each USB Header. - hopefully :-)

regards,
tim.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 02:25 

Windows Vista 64 bit is now working very fine with my th2go setup. (DVI).
I have apsolutely no idea what was wrong to my old system.

New System:

XPC SP35P2 Pro
C2D E6850 (2x3Ghz)
4GB 800Mhz (Dual Channel,1333Mhz)
eVGA 8800GT Superclocked (2xDVI Dual-Link)
750GB HDD
Samsung DVD Burner

All is running fine on 3840x1024 on first try, driver is nvidia 169.21, with latest powerdesk from matrox website.

Thank you a lot anyway :-)

regards,
Tim.