Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 06:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2008, 18:10 

Which one is better for use with th2go? I have heard there are alot of restrictions with ATI based cards. Does this still hold true with the HD4870x2's running in Xfire?

Thanks for any responses you may have.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2008, 20:56 
Insiders
Insiders

If you are going for triple wide then, at the moment, you have to get 2 GTX's as the ATi cards won't do 5040x1050. The Ati cards are fine for 3x5:4 and some lower res triple wide..see this thread

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/9189

I would personally go for 2 GTXs as normal SLI is a lot more efficient thatn Quad Cross fire or cross fireX or whatever it is called. Also the 2 GTXs are cheaper. However if you are a hardocre OC'er then the intel chipsets are better than the NVidia so maybe go the crossfire route.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2008, 21:17 

One last question. I was planning on going tri-sli(3x gtx280). Would this work as well?

Thank you for the reply.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2008, 21:37 
Insiders
Insiders

Look at my sig ;)

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2008, 21:40 

Look at my sig ;)

Man this is GREAT news indeed. You are exactly the guy I am looking for lol.

Ok ONE LAST question.

What kind of performance increase did you get from sli to trisli? If its 10% I prbably wont be doing it. But if its 25% + I am certainly doing it.

Thank you for the replies! You dont know how hard it was to find someone with this info.

Also another very important note. I was thinking of going DDR2. Will I get a big hit on performance?

OH and I know your PSU is in there somewhere but which one is it?!

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2008, 21:58 
Insiders
Insiders

OK: there is an advantage from SLI to TRI, but it really depends on the game. For example in Clear Sky I went from (DX9 mode, DX10 doesn't seem to work yet at triple wide) medium to high settings to absolute maximum, and it made a big difference especially the sun shadows and stuff. IMO the higher your res the bigger difference you get with going TRI, there really is no point going SLI GTX280 at 24" let alone TRI, but by the time you get to 5 Mega Pixels at 3xWS res it makes more differnce. SOme games don't have an improvement though cos it is down to the NV drivers.

However to be brutally honest it is probably not worth it, I get my kit real cheap cos I am in IT but retail?????? Probably not really worth it. Best to try SLI first and see if you are happy. Also you have to go Vista to get TRI and, while 64bit vista is great for accessing all you RAM, there are still the vista problems e.g. a the moment we can't use the latest NV vista drivers in 5040 but XP is OK.

DDR2 will not cause a problem, just get 4GB (or 3GB if 32bit) and you will be fine, even at 667MHz from what I have seen.

My PSU is a toughpower 1200W, now 100W would be fine (and probabably 800W) even for TRI SLI OC'd quad care etc. However the TT 1200W is one of the few with 3x8pin and 2x6pin PCIe power connectors needed for TRI 280's. However you can also get the 6 to 8 pin converters so any decent 100W will do you fine. The reason i like to get high spec PSUs is that having them run at lower than required watts keeps them cool and the noise down :)

Hope this helps answer your ONE last question ;)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2008, 16:49 

I appreciate it m8.

I already ordered that tt toughpower yesterday.

Like you said thoe, my biggest concern is getting proper support for the hardware. Other than that, Ive already made up my mind to do it.

I put a order in yesterday for 3x gtx 280s, with the dangerden waterblocks.

Going to stick with a q9550 e0 stepping and crank it up to 4+ ghz on watercooling.

Im getting the 780i ftw mobo , seems like one of the onlyones capable of running trisli and ddr2.

Thanks for all your responses and the time you took to write them.

Ill see ya around m8. :)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2008, 19:58 
Insiders
Insiders

Not a problem at all, that will be a wicked set up!

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2008, 20:14 

toss all of that in a BMW M3 and see how it holds...

rofl.