Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 12:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 21:28 
Editors
Editors

No I dont have it, but wondering if anybody has tried it.

I am quite happy using my single 37" monitor for now its all the space I have and all I can afford, but when I do go triple wide I wanna do it BIG!

I was thinking of building my own little area with a wall that is like this _/ and use 3 720P projectors like the Optoma HD 65 instead of 3 monitors.

No bezels! Bigger than Ever!

I wonder why I have seen nobody do it yet. You can find those for like $600 each and thats cheaper than many of your guys's monitors.

I would have to make World of Warcraft the first game I play. Even though I do not play anymore it was like what started the urge to go triple wide for me.

Instead of just looking left and right with your eyes to see the surrounding area, you would have to turn your head and be inside the world of warcraft!

*Evil Laugh* Man I can only imagine doing like a good racing setup too, with the wheel, stick, clutch ect...

I really wanna do this.

Am I insane or just innovative?

Plus projector tech is getting better & cheaper constantly by the time I do this in many years it should not really be too hard to accomplish.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 21:53 
Editors
Editors

Am I insane or just innovative?

Is there much difference? ;)

I'd love to see some pics of a triple-projector setup.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 22:04 
Insiders
Insiders

It's been mentioned a few times, I have a triple 720p projector analog TH2G setup. For triplehead projector examples, there are good pics in the gallery at http://www.mycockpit.org of several triplehead projector setups. Projectors bring new complexities into surround gaming like keystone issues and projection edge blending. Those are taken care of by a utility called Sol7 which is available from ImmersaView for around $430 (simpit edition) http://immersaview.com/sol7.html . The driving force behind triple-projection is really the simulator builder community.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 22:23 
Editors
Editors

Or you could just take your time and align them right I would think.

Would be easier but more expensive probably with one of those ultra short throw projectors that only need like 3" to do a 60" screen.

You can easily just place them all at the right height on a table of sorts under your screen and move them till the picture is right.

I was gonna do a simple _/ as building and probably properly adjusting a curved screen will be harder I am sure.

Its just a project on my wish list, once the kids are grown up I will have more money that I know what to do with unless another expense comes up or they dont move out lol.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 23:16 
Insiders
Insiders

My setup is still in the screen design stage. I've had the projectors and analog TH2G sitting around for over a year though. The setup will eat up a lot of space in whatever room it ends up in. I've been pondering a screen design that can be put together and taken down as needed.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 07:13 
Editors
Editors

Hmm well you can do like a pull down screen thing so it can be rolled up, or if you want it so it can be move away completely something like an easel but bigger and more upright.

Pretty much a rolling stand. You could roll them into a corner when not in use or something. I am lazy though and would not want to go through the trouble o doing that eahc time Iwant to use the computer screens, so at the very least I would need a regular monitor as a backup on a toggle swich.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 11:39 
Insiders
Insiders

I was thinking on using a pipe bender and using a simular frame construction as a camping cot, where you can put together the pieces and take them apart and the screen is stretched over a tubing frame. Think in the terms of tent construction, but in the form of a semi-circlular screen. Hrrrm, now that I think about it, what keeps me from just ripping apart some camping cots and reconfiguring them as a screen with screen material purchased by the roll from ebay?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 16:34 
Insiders
Insiders

Oooooh, Ghimpi thats a great idea. And just like some camping cots you can use springs to keep the "canvas" taught! It would surely make the seamless approach doable.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 20:31 

monitor vs projector, price isn't the only difference.

a monitor doesn't have a loud fan, a lamp to be changed after a few months or the need for an expensive screen.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 22:13 
Insiders
Insiders

monitor vs projector, price isn't the only difference.

a monitor doesn't have a loud fan, a lamp to be changed after a few months or the need for an expensive screen.

You don't do it because it's practical. You do it because it's immersive. People don't take into account but projectors have consumables price hidden with them for bulbs. The trick is to buy the $60 bulb and swap out the old for the new in the refractor cage...and not fall into the trap of buying a whole new $300-350 bulb+refractor cage every 2500 hours. Some people complain about the smallest of fan nouse with computers, I don't really get the issue there though. There are specific situations where it makes a lot more sense to do projector. I'm setting mine up for my aircraft simpit. :wink: