Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 19:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AvP demo & TripleHead
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 11:32 

Works out of the box, I didn't even have to specify my resolution, though I hope they centre the HUD for release. Great stuff. Not sure I can say the same for the gameplay so far, but I'll give it more of a chance before a final verdict. I'll post some screenshots shortly.

Post subject: Re: AvP demo & Eyefinity
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 11:48 

For some reason, most of the fraps screenshots I took just came out black, but here are the few that did work. High textures, ambient occlusion off (framerate killer, as in BFBC2), 5760x1200. I've brightened them up a little for visibility as it's a dark map...

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 12:36 

Bad form to keep replying to my own posts, but what the heck. Gameplay so far...I've played each species and I'm really not impressed. The game plays way too slow compared with the classic original, and just feels sluggish. Graphics are lackluster...I mean, the alien model looks like they just couldn't be bothered. The gameplay appears to be all about getting behind your enemy & pressing E for an insta-kill, which is rather tiresome. I won't whinge about the matchmaking system as they've promised a server browser for the release version, otherwise that would be a dealbreaker right there. I'm hovering over the "cancel pre-order" button (or would be if Steam had one :wink: ), but I'll hold off for a couple of days & see if it grows on me...which at the moment I seriously doubt. Disappointed, but at least there's other good stuff out there at the moment.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 14:59 

I agree it seems sluggish hopefully that will be improved in the final release. Feels as though the game has been slowed down 50%. I played only a little so far and I am not sure if I like it yet.

Works well in eyefinity but I was getting really dizzy playing as an alien because you are always walking up walls or on the ceiling.

The graphics quality was average but I am pleased that the minimum specifications are so low. A lot of people with older computers will be able to play this game and it should have a good user base. Hopefully when they add the directx 11 options it will improve the quality for high end users.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 17:29 
Editors
Editors

Yep, the screenshots dont look good at all. :shock:

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 18:14 

Yes it doesn't feel or look like a 2010 game to be honest. Having said that, the demo only uses DX9 and retail will be DX11, so maybe that'll help a bit. Input lag is awful, but I'll be generous & put that down to the disaster that is multiplayer peer to peer hosting.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 18:15 
Insiders
Insiders

thanks for the info shock

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 06:10 
Editors
Editors

Well I am glad to see it works with surround. The 1 player video's they had of this game made it look awesome. Maybe it wont be the greatest multiplayer game but as long as it has a solid single player I would still get it and enjoy it just like the Call of Duty series for me.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 00:05 

The demo is running in dx 9.. it said that dx 11 and eyefinity could be experienced in the full version.. so I imagine that the graphics will look at least somewhat better.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 21:10 
Editors
Editors

I only saw the demo's main menu :oops: but was quite shocked to see explicit reference to Eyefinity on the copyright page and/or in video options... For all it's worth, AvP might be the very first post-Eyefinity title. :?: