Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 10:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 18:34 

Hey guys,

Wanted to post this for anyone playing Aion on triple/dual screens to help them to cope with the horrible native resolution/camera problems. The following links are to two sites: Aionsource and MMOElites. Aionsource thread is a way to access the command console and modify just about any feature you want in game (if you have problems getting it to work, either msg me through these forums or follow through the comments on the thread). MMOelites is a small group of guys that develop tools for several online games. There are two that are usefull (one is in the subscriber only thread, but I HIGHLY recommend it). Just to note, I use three 21.5" monitors with two HD 5870 Radeon cards crossfired with Eyefinity software. I have also used the Triple Head 2 Go before this, and all these measures should work no matter what your setup.

AionSource thread (access the command console)

http://www.aionsource.com/topic/80949-fix-the-definite-guide-on-aions-graphical-settings-and-performance-tips/

*namely you need this to adjust the FoV. You do this by making the modifications to as described in the orginal post, entering the game and hitting the Pause/Break Key to bring up the command console. Once in, all you type is g_minfov xxx. I have found 180 to be the most optimal FoV. Also, when creating the modified document make sure to add all the lines to increase the distance at which all objects in game are seen or you will be running around with players/mobs/envrionment suddenly spawning right in front of you with no heads up.

MMOElites (Two Utilities)

1.Eyeremember (freeware)

http://www.mmoelites.com/topic/461-release-eyeremember/page__gopid__3575&

*PharmerPhale wrote this for me after a request I made. It basically saves the position of all the in game windows once you have loaded Aion and remembers thier position so that when you quit/logoff/switch to an alt you can alt-tab and hit load config from your tray app and it will load all in game windows to the positions you had like them instead of default. Default on widescreen sucks ballz b/c they are almost all at the far edgs of your outside monitors.

2.Aion Tool (subscriber only)

http://www.mmoelites.com/index

*This you can only get by subscribing to thier website, but I very strongly recommend it. It does a number of different functions, but the main ones that I like are the camera zoom out which you can set as far as you want. I typically set mine at 120 which gives you enough room to make your character invisible from birds eye view, but not so far that you forever have to scroll to get in close. The other is Anti-AFK. The built in auto logoff is terrible if you are like me and have to get up from the pc for whatever your wife/kids/dogs need at any random point. This will basically kill that and keep you logged in up to 24 hours at which the server will always auto log you off.

I hope this helps anyone playing Aion, and if anyone quit playing b/c the lack of native support for widescreen gamers then come back and give it a try with these fixes. You will love the results. Anyone that has any problems getting anything to work or any questions, please feel free to post a response or send me a msg through the board.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 19:31 
Editors
Editors

Thanks for the links and programs. I never played Aion I wanted to give it a shot but suddenly it reminded me too much of Warhammer Online and I had to pass :D

But you mentioned the main reason I do not play MMO's the kids and stuff, its hard to play a time consuming game like an MMO when you may need to go at random or only have short hours to play.

Despite this I did just buy the FFXI Ultimate Collection since it was on sale for only $7.49 on steam and plan to just use a free trial and quit again, and keep my eyes on FFXIV to see how that game turns out.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 14:15 

Hello,

Thanks for those fixes!
I'm a big fan of Aion but i did stop playing it since no Widescreen support.
Now with this fix it works like wonders! Just one question. Do you have to put the g_minfov 180 in the console everytime you play?
Or can you put it somewhere in the config? I have tried to put inside the system.ovr but then it doesn't seem to load the FOV :-(
Any tips about this would be nice :-)

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 15:03 
Administrators
Administrators

Hello,

Thanks for those fixes!
Now with this fix it works like wonders! Just one question. Do you have to put the g_minfov 180 in the console everytime you play?
Or can you put it somewhere in the config? I have tried to put inside the system.ovr but then it doesn't seem to load the FOV :-(

Read the Aion Source thread most you need to know is in there, I did post this fix on the Aion Beta detailed report last year, in short /g_minfov is a console command only there is no way around. The graphics engine doesn't recognise the field as a configuration option from the ovr file.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 18:23 

[quote]Hello,

Thanks for those fixes!

Read the Aion Source thread most you need to know is in there, I did post this fix on the Aion Beta detailed report last year, in short /g_minfov is a console command only there is no way around. The graphics engine doesn't recognise the field as a configuration option from the ovr file.

That's right, you do have to enter it every time. I am so used to it, I dont even really think about it.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 20:32 

Thanks for the awnsers :-)
I'm already glad with this fix :-D